Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic has been beaten to death but I searched and most replies came back saying to drop a tooth on the front. I was recently given a 44 tooth rear sprocket for my 06 10R and I was wondering if I could use it with the stock chain and how much it would throw off my speedometer. I know the speedometers are off quite a bit and error on the fast side so I was thinking this might actually make the speedometer more accurate. Do I have that correct or backwards?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I don't know stock gearing on the 2nd gens but -1 tooth up front=close to +3 in the rear so yes you could use it and yes with the stock chain...The speedo will be off bad...speedohealer can fix that

stock chain is 525 so if the sprocket is a 525 your good, if its a 520 or 530 then negative

·
Registered
609 Posts
Gen2 comes stock 17/40, so that would be +4 on the rear. I doubt that would work with stock chain. It's going to be tight if it does.

A lot of people go -1/+2, dropping a tooth on the front gives a little space to make up for adding 2 on the rear.

http://Gearingcommander.com will tell you for sure, I'm to lazy to look it up for you.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I know it is a different year but my 08 has -1 +3 (F/R) and it is a touch tight, speedo error is approx. 18% but I don't really look at it much, pulls like a freight train to 165 mph though - might be a little too much.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
stock is 17/41....shouldnt throw off your speedo cause speed sensor is off the tranny output shaft and not how fast the wheel turns..As long as its a 525 it will work..Chain as said b4 will be mega tight and you will have to bring wheel closer to engine for chain slack..That will shorten the wheel base and aid in it being a wheelie machine and even throw off the handleing a smidge...

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
stock is 17/41....shouldnt throw off your speedo cause speed sensor is off the tranny output shaft and not how fast the wheel turns..As long as its a 525 it will work..Chain as said b4 will be mega tight and you will have to bring wheel closer to engine for chain slack..That will shorten the wheel base and aid in it being a wheelie machine and even throw off the handleing a smidge...

:+1: I believe this man is correct :mrgreen:

·
Registered
609 Posts
:+1: I believe this man is correct :mrgreen:
Wrong wrong wrong!

17/41 is a gen3, gen2 is 17/40 stock and a 06 is still a gen2.

And changing the gearing will absolutely impact the speedo. The speed of the bike has everything to do with how fast the wheel turns; which is directly related to the gearing. The fact that is sensor doesn't change is exactly why it does impact the speedo.

Adding +4 rear (on gen2 or 3) will shorten the wheel base less than 3/4 inch (according to gearing commander), so it may even work with stock chain assuming you have at least that much available in adjustment. Still be a super pain when the wheel is removed / installed. This will not "throw off" the handling, but will make it turn a little faster. If needed you could raise the front end (slow turn in) slightly to compensate.

·
Registered
198 Posts

So I installed a speedohealer for nothing! :heyyou:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, thanks guys. I'm about to do my own research but being that I'm already typing this, how do I go about telling if this sprocket is for a 525 chain?

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
TN10R,sorry bud but i made a boo boo..Gen 2 is 17/40..Coulda swoirn it was 41 till i went out in the cold to go see....
Stock your bike will be off its speedo by roughly 10,but again if you change the rear sprocket only,speedo healer is "NOT"required..It "IS when you change the front..

TANDER2114..Gettin a speedo healer is good idea even if you dont do a gearing change..Speedos are usually off by approx 10% anyway...In the scheme of things if you dont put a speedo healer on you sorta loose a lil value in the bike cause its milage will read higher than actual..

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I put a 42 tooth sprocket on my 07. I have been paces by other bikes and cars. I don't do have a speedohealer. When my speedo says 78 I am actually about 70.

On a side note, I have noticed that it get the same if not better gas miliage running 6K rpm's than I do 5K (indicated 94 to 80) so I am thinking about going -1 in the front to get the R's up and reduce the chances of tickets.

·
Registered
609 Posts
but again if you change the rear sprocket only,speedo healer is "NOT"required..It "IS when you change the front
You are still 100% wrong. You clearly have no concept of how changing gearing functions.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
TN10r....tell me then..How does speedo get its info...It aint from back wheel...Its the tranny that dictates how fast the rear will go and if im correct thats where speedo sensor is..So if he changes only the rear sprocket does that mean the tranny is turning faster cause of the wheel??
Anyways..he will do his own research im not gonna bicker about it..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meh, If I ever use the sprocket I'll just strap my GPS onto the bike and see what the actual speed is. I just figured as smart as you guys where you could tell me :eek:ccasion1

Also, no one has answered the question of how to tell what size chain the sprocket is for.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The speed sensor is on the out put shaft of the transmission. ecu works by having a preset formula that the calculates the speed. If you change any of the factors in the equation then you will get the wrong answer unless you change the formula (speedohealer). In RWD cars there are 2 parts in the rear end that set your gearing after the transmission. The Ring(rear sprocket) and Pinion(front sprocket). You can divide that the number of teeth on the ring by the teeth on the pinion to get the final gear ration. Changing either of these will get you a new ratio which will cause inaccuracies in the speedometer if not compensated for the change.

Check the part #. I haven't looked at mine in a while and not having my bike with me I can't garrentee but I think Vortecs has it eched in on it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
TN10r....tell me then..How does speedo get its info...It aint from back wheel...Its the tranny that dictates how fast the rear will go and if im correct thats where speedo sensor is..So if he changes only the rear sprocket does that mean the tranny is turning faster cause of the wheel??Anyways..he will do his own research im not gonna bicker about it..
No, it means that the wheel is turning slower because of the bigger sprocket. That of course means that your will be slower than the indicated MPH.

Gearing is the relationship between front and rear sprockets.

You need to think about what you are posting.

·
Registered
609 Posts
TN10r....tell me then..How does speedo get its info...It aint from back wheel...Its the tranny that dictates how fast the rear will go and if im correct thats where speedo sensor is..So if he changes only the rear sprocket does that mean the tranny is turning faster cause of the wheel??
Where did you get your sixth grade education Jeffro? (you're likely too young to get the joke)

True the speed sensor is located on the shaft with the front sprocket. The thing you don't seem to understand is that this thing called a chain connects the front and rear sprockets. Any changes to either sprocket will impact the relationship of the rear tire to the sensor, since they are all connected to each other.

The ratio between the rear and front sprocket determines the speed that that rear will rotate in relation to the sensor and how far off the speedo will read.

The sensor will read the same based on the rpm of the tranny, hence the speedo will read the same speed no matter what you do to gearing, but the bike will be traveling at a different speed based on the gearing ratio which is calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the rear, by the number of teeth on the front.

You would get exactly the same error on the speedo using 45r/15f =ratio of 3 as you would with a 48r/16f = same ratio of 3.

To determine if you have a 525 sprocket, the part number should be stamped on the sprocket. You could also just compare the thickness to your stocker.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Wrong wrong wrong!

17/41 is a gen3, gen2 is 17/40 stock and a 06 is still a gen2.

And changing the gearing will absolutely impact the speedo. The speed of the bike has everything to do with how fast the wheel turns; which is directly related to the gearing. The fact that is sensor doesn't change is exactly why it does impact the speedo.

Adding +4 rear (on gen2 or 3) will shorten the wheel base less than 3/4 inch (according to gearing commander), so it may even work with stock chain assuming you have at least that much available in adjustment. Still be a super pain when the wheel is removed / installed. This will not "throw off" the handling, but will make it turn a little faster. If needed you could raise the front end (slow turn in) slightly to compensate.
OOPS, I wrote before I thought!! not the first time that has happened, sorry guys!! :idea: Thanks for the correction TN10R

1 - 18 of 18 Posts