Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i have an 05, the suspension is quite firm which i like although when i look at the rear sring it is hard to tell what it is adjusted at...can't see much & it looks like a challenge to actually get to it...

where should i set the spring rate at?
im 80kg (200lbs?)

thanks,
marko

·
Registered
213 Posts
Originally Posted By CanyonCarver
30mm of rider sag is what you're after. Don't worry about seeing where the rings are -- just adjust for the sag.
:hello: I go with 3/4" of sag in the rear and 1" in the front. A simple way to accomplish this for street riding (track riding might call for a more precise process) is to take measurement from a reference point on the swing arm to a ref. pt. on the tail section with no load on the spring (bike should be held upright unmounted). Take the same measurment from the same ref. pts. with load (rider on bike) on spring. Probabaly be a good idea to have a friend or two available to hold the bike upright while the rider sits on it. The 2nd measurement, with spring preload adjuster manipulation, should yeild 3/4" less the 1st measurement. Repeat same for front of bike. 2nd measurement should yeild 1" less the 1st. Refer to owners manual to locate spring preload adjuster for front and rear of bike. When messing with the bike's sag its always a good idea to consider the bike's compression & rebounding settings. Most of these bike are set-up for a 150 lb rider. I weight more than 150 lbs, so when I get a new bike I always tinker with the suspension. Should be a consideration when riding 2 up also. Just my 2 cents.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
3/4" rear sag isn't enough, IMO. 25-30mm is what will work best. Converted that is about 1 - 1.2". 3/4" is only 19mm. Very stiff.

Your advice on how to set is good, though.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Remember the spring on this bike is 535#. It is actually too heavy for a 200lb rider, at 200 you should have a 500 lb spring. You are not going to get much free sag with the stock spring when the rider sag is set up correctly.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
3/4" rear sag isn't enough, IMO. 25-30mm is what will work best. Converted that is about 1 - 1.2". 3/4" is only 19mm. Very stiff.

Your advice on how to set is good, though.
damn your on a roll dood!! yea 3/4" is not near enough for street or track, hell the suspension has to be able to work.

BD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts