Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im lookin to add a few mods over the winter and most importantly a new rear shock.

my question is do i need to buy a whole new shock to suit my heavier weight or just a different spring from hyprerpro or racetech

·
Registered
772 Posts
you gotta tell us how big of a guy you are and how many track days you have planned

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6'5" 265 as for now just 3 track days set for next year
I mostly do street riding

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
im lookin to add a few mods over the winter and most importantly a new rear shock.

my question is do i need to buy a whole new shock to suit my heavier weight or just a different spring from hyprerpro or racetech
I am looking to make my bike more compliant. I am 170LBS no gear. Road a CBR600RR the other day and it took the bumps better.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Throw a spring on it unless you plan to race. Otherwise you're dropping $900 for a shock. A spring will run you bout $100~ and unless you plan to compete (or try to set the track record on track days lol) you do not need an after market shock.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
6'5" 265 as for now just 3 track days set for next year
I mostly do street riding
I'm you're body double (maybe, LOL) I bought a new shock but am sending my forks to lithium Motorsports in hinton Iowa, they'll re-valve and re-spring your shock and forks for $400 buck plus shipping of course. Great deal I thought. Haven't recieved mine e back yet but I cannot wait for a non squishy suspension.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I'm you're body double (maybe, LOL) I bought a new shock but am sending my forks to lithium Motorsports in hinton Iowa, they'll re-valve and re-spring your shock and forks for $400 buck plus shipping of course. Great deal I thought. Haven't recieved mine e back yet but I cannot wait for a non squishy suspension.

Rob is a good dude. He's done a TON of suspension in the midwest.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm a bit taller and weigh 270 geared up. The rear shock is junk. It's good as a paperweight and that's about it.

I got a TTX from Dan Kyle for a SCREAMING good price last month for my 06. Get them on the horn and have a credit card ready. Mike (can't remember his last name) was the guy that helped me out.

www.kyleusa.com (866) 667-4925

They hooked me up with the appropriate rate fork springs, too. The bike feels SO much better. I'd love to try it out with some Ohlins cartridges up front but that's not financially possible right now. My old RC51 was the dogs balls with Ohlins at both ends! I'd be happy getting the ZX to handle at 75% of that.

Stock, the ZX was too scary to ride at anything above the posted limit-and even then it didn't feel planted. It's now much better. I highly recommend some suspension work.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Suspension upgrades are the best money spent on a bike. I've never heard anyone say the $$$ upgrading their suspension was not worth it no matter how much they put out. If you push the bake at all, even just street riding you will tell the difference.

My wife bitched about the $1000 I spent on my ZRX shocks until I took her for a ride. Even as a passenger she could tell a big difference.

I've spent about $1500 on the ZX10, peneke rear double clicker and the forks redone with penske internals. Well worth it. You can spend less or more, but spend what you can, you will not be disappointed. Just make sure you use a good suspension company, not the dealer or some hole in the wall.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
still havent fully decided yet but its between the penske rear shock or hyperpro spring for the rear. im gonna go to dan kyle for some options though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts