Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Before i just really royally f..k this up, please help. I've tried to follow Von's write up and compare to the kawi tech manual, but i am not confident things are going well. The Kawi manual has 4 steps, and it can't be that easy cuz my shock is jammed...

This is Von's write up: http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13161

Lower fairings off: CHECK

Bike on front and rear stands: CHECK

Left dogbone completely off, stock shock completely unbolted and now lodged in between lower link assembly, swingarm hole and under tail section: CHECK

I can't get the shock out, its jammed in there. Should the right dogbone be off also? The swing arm has decompressed so there is no load and i dont know if i should take it off the rear stand. my floor jack stands are not tall enough to reach the 7/16's rod in the swing arm bolt. Is this crucial to have in place?

I am stuck between a shock and f..king up my bike so please help. I have a car jack that i can use if i should put that under the bike, not sure what part to jack up from, if that will help.

Or if someone is in Redondo Beach, CA and wants to come help, i'd appreciate it. Need to get this taken care of asap to ship the shock to its new owner!!

Thanks!!

·
Funshine Bear
2,686 Posts
you bike shouldn't be on the rear stand. you should supprot the rear subframe so the swing arm can drop. then you can extend your swing arm.

·
Registered
289 Posts
how i did it one a previous bike (dont know if it will work the same way) but unbolted everything and one guy lifts the rear of the bike up off the floor (didnt even use the rear end stand) and the top of the shock just came out and lift the bottom out. idk if that helps any, that was on a gsxr 750 but i think it should work the same.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
If I were you. Go out and get yourself a set of decent axle stands. They are cheap to buy.
Place axle stand on both side of the bike and use it to support the bar you have that will slotted thru the swingarm pivot. Lower bike onto axle stand and then remove the rear bike stand. Let the swing arm hang free. Tyre should not be touching the ground. Shock should come easy thru the top.
For the record I did it without touching the dogbones. As long as you got the swing arm hanging all by it own. Should have no problems. Getting the new shock is just as easy. Thru the top.
Good luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
Put a piece of wood under the engine and jack it on that then yeah put some axle stands on the pegs if they are solid rearsets, removing the rear wheel first will also help. another way you will get away with it is by havin the side stand down and jacking the rhs engine case with a piece of wood it works ive tried it might just want to take exhaust off

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I just put new shocks on my my bike. I put a SUV jack on pegs and front triple stand after that you can remove the rear stand slowly and pulled the shock from the top.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
If I were you. Go out and get yourself a set of decent axle stands. They are cheap to buy.
Place axle stand on both side of the bike and use it to support the bar you have that will slotted thru the swingarm pivot. Lower bike onto axle stand and then remove the rear bike stand. Let the swing arm hang free. Tyre should not be touching the ground. Shock should come easy thru the top.
For the record I did it without touching the dogbones. As long as you got the swing arm hanging all by it own. Should have no problems. Getting the new shock is just as easy. Thru the top.
Good luck
And make sure you bar is strong enough. I did this on my 2000 6R and I guess the bar I was using wasn't strong enough...when I lowered down on it, it got bent to sh$t.

Just a warning.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya, ok, well i got a 7/16 bar from home depot last night. how much stronger or how would i know to get anything stronger? i can place the jacks on my rear sets, they are gilles, but is that really strong enough? i wouldnt think so?

so, keep it on the front stand, put the bar in the swing arm bolts, put the jacks under the bar, slowly remove the rear stand? and i guess remove the rear tire also?

·
Registered
603 Posts
fwiw, I ended up removing the rear tire on my 04 when I installed a shock and it made it MUCH easier. I wasn't getting enough room between the bottom of the tail section and the opening in the swingarm to drop the shock through until I removed the tire and then it was more than enough

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, will do. btw, on the front forks, is the only way to have a front tree stand?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, thanks for the help guys! got her all done, removing the rear tire did help allowing the swing arm to fully drop.

only question is the nut hold the bolt to the bottom of the shock is not flushly seated, still has like 2 or 3 threads showing but tight. the top bolt and nut are all snug and look fine. is the top bolt shorter then the bottom?

afraid of it coming loose.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, the rear tire was off, so the chain was off.

let me clarify, its the nut to the bolt holding the shock on the aluminum bracket thing.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the nut is fully clamped down and there is about 2-3 threads left on the nut itself, so i'd guess its half way on, but clamped down as tight as she'll go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts