Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Takes about 20 min to remove if you've gotta strong and willing buddy.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
SP8 said:
Does our bike have a rear shock spacer where it attaches to the frame? Like the 03/04 ZX6R.
:eyecrazy: SP8 you do have a 10R? So:idea: walk over to your bike and take a look...:lol:

but BD is being to nice again....

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next question. I'm short, and obviously lazy. I don't want to lower the bike too much, but I figure taking out the washer will help. If I measure from a fixed point on the subframe to the ground with the washer in. Then do the same measurement with it out. Then measure from a fixed point in front of the frame to ground. Then pull my forks up until I get the same difference in height as removing the washer did in the rear. That should give near the same geometry right?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
In the shadetree/coonass schoolin it will. :mrgreen: Actually try removing the 3mm shim and leaving the frontend alone until ya ride it! then if your so inclined to raise the tubes have at it.

BD

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could do that. I was planing to drop the front before my pulling the washer idea. Wanted to taste a little quicker steering. But your method may save me some work BD.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I think BNinja did something w/ the rear shock spacer. There was a reference to the geometry change 3mm rear == 4.5mm front. So if you remove the 3mm rear shock spacer, sounds like raising the forks 4.5mm in the clamps would bring you back to stock geometry. :dontknow:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I removed my spacer as well but the Penske is 4.5mm longer eye~eye than the stocker so the end result is still +1.5mm

BD

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Big Daddy said:
I removed my spacer as well but the Penske is 4.5mm longer eye~eye than the stocker so the end result is still +1.5mm

BD
Do you find this better when exciting hard out of corners?, have read somewhere the front end is heavy when exciting hard on the gas.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Do you mean it's heavy with stock geometry? Can't say that its true. Yes, the stock setup is a little front wheel bias, but it's far from heavy! With the raised profile that the penske gives, it could get heavier...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
vane said:
Do you mean it's heavy with stock geometry? Can't say that its true. Yes, the stock setup is a little front wheel bias, but it's far from heavy! With the raised profile that the penske gives, it could get heavier...
What i mean is it understeers or pushes supposedly when exciting hard, have'nt really noticed it but just something i read. I talking like a bend that can be taken at speed.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
And when i say heavy, of course it is actually light when exciting hard, i just happen to tie that word with pushing or understeer, so it would be better if raising the rear or lowering the front, welcome to confuscious.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I read in a recent article that the shock doesnt rebound fast enough when pushed hard exciting corners, which probably explains this minor prob, probably ok for street riding, but would be different on the track i would think.

The tester with the 10 had the shock revalved which improved it but of course not the same as aftermarket jobby.

Could always do it the cheap ass way and push the forks thru to compensate somewhat but not really the ideal thing i suppose.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I believe Vane has Ohlins for both F&R.

In its totally stock config its front end biased so for those that are racing it or simply just want a better feel have actually choppered it (lowered the rear and raised the front) in order to get a better balance. After installing the Penske i adjusted the fork tubes down and level with the top triple and while i did one trackday and many street miles in this config i'd have to say i wasn't real comfortable....it felt as though it wanted to go wide or push. I must also say that my rider sag #'s in the frontend were 35mm (which is too much) and perhaps i was encountering the bottoming cone under compression which could have easily caused the condition i experienced and worse had i not been aware of it. SO my setup now is the same for the rear but i've raised the forks back to the OEM position of 3mm above the triple and added some preload, but sadly enough i haven't had a chance to ride in the snow so i must wait.

BD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts