Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Ground Zero said:
I am planning to install my Ohlins rear shock this weekend and had a quick question for those who have Pitbull stands. Will the front stand balance the bike if I use a floor jack to unload the rear suspension? Any tips or suggestions are apreciated.:mrgreen:
Nope...

just get a threaded rod (you can get them at like lowes menards etc....)
and run it through the hole in the swingarm pivot then use jack stands to hold the bike up. thats what I've always done.
the front stand thing is a recipe for disaster.
use a front stand ONLY if you already have the bike up on the rear stand. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
busaforhire said:
Nope...

just get a threaded rod (you can get them at like lowes menards etc....)
and run it through the hole in the swingarm pivot then use jack stands to hold the bike up. thats what I've always done.
:eek:ccasion1
Thats what I was thinking of doing. Just checking before I try something easier and stupid. Never used the front stand only...the only stupid questions are the ones you should have asked. Thanks again.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
a set of jacks stands??? any local auto parts store, Sears, Home Depot, etc

BD

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Big Daddy said:
a set of jacks stands??? any local auto parts store, Sears, Home Depot, etc

BD
hey BD

been meaning to ask , what is that silver-pipe-looking-thingy that the stands are holding the bike with???

simple as a piece of pipe???

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Need a little help... The install directions from Ohlins states to remove and install the shock from the top of the swing arm. The factory manual says to do it through the bottom of the swing arm. Doesn't appear to be enough clearance to get it out of the top and I don't know if the top of the Ohlins will fit up through the bottom. Any input would save me some time and frustration. Thanks.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Good Job!

what did you use with the Jack Stands?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used a 7/16 threaded rod through the arm pivot secured on both sides with a nut to keep the rod from shifting. Worked perfect and only cost $7 at Lowes. It seems a bit stiffer than the stock shock (as Dan Kyle said it would). If the weather permits I plan on putting some miles on it tomorrow to make sure everything is good and loose and see what kind of sag I end up with.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Ground Zero said:
I used a 7/16 threaded rod through the arm pivot secured on both sides with a nut to keep the rod from shifting. Worked perfect and only cost $7 at Lowes. It seems a bit stiffer than the stock shock (as Dan Kyle said it would). If the weather permits I plan on putting some miles on it tomorrow to make sure everything is good and loose and see what kind of sag I end up with.
I helped you and you helped me.. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Big Daddy said:
yea and i'm chopped liver. :dontknow:

BD

BD gets no love... again. :headshake :dontknow:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
no luv, no respect.........awwwwwwwwwwwww fuggem :rant:

BD

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Big Daddy said:
yea and i'm chopped liver. :dontknow:

BD

alright since you feel left out I provided the info and you provided the pics..
hows that???

You however didn't send me a map for my bike like Groundzero did. :wink:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
cuz i ain't gots no fuggen map to send ya's!! second thought i do have a road atlas if your in need. :thumbsup:

BD

1 - 20 of 24 Posts