Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a gen 2 and my rear brakes stopped working when it was raining pretty heavy today. As soon as it stopped pouring they started working again. I know this is not normal but i have no idea what it could be. I dont know why the rain would cause the rear brakes not to work at all but work as soon as it stopped raining. I pushed the rear brake all the way down and it felt like the bleeder valve was all the way open. But there is no brake fluid or anything anywhere around the brakes or anything like that. If someone could please help me out that would be great. I am completly mind F'ed.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has answered your question by saying you shouldn't be using your rear brake anyway. That's all I hear over on the zx6r forums and it drives me mad. I use the shit out of my rear brake. :) At first I couldn't help but wonder if it was just your rear wheel losing traction in the wet, but you said the pedal goes all the way down like the bleeder is open. That is weird. Do you have ABS?

EDIT: disregard the ABS question! I see you have a GEN 2 which means no ABS. Sorry! :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It shouldn't cause your pedal to travel any further. I ride/race in the rain all the time and my rear brake always works just fine (of course there is less traction). At least that's what I interpret the first post (more travel). But I could have interpreted it incorrectly.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has answered your question by saying you shouldn't be using your rear brake anyway. That's all I hear over on the zx6r forums and it drives me mad. I use the shit out of my rear brake. :) At first I couldn't help but wonder if it was just your rear wheel losing traction in the wet, but you said the pedal goes all the way down like the bleeder is open. That is weird. Do you have ABS?

EDIT: disregard the ABS question! I see you have a GEN 2 which means no ABS. Sorry! :)
Been Riding Bikes probably before you were born I can come up with a Thousands reasons why a Rear Brake is needed please don't tell members a Rear Brake is not needed.....I have yet to see a stock bike come without rear Brakes Stock. :heyyou: :idea:

bloo

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Been Riding Bikes probably before you were born I can come up with a Thousands reasons why a Rear Brake is needed please don't tell members a Rear Brake is not needed.....I have yet to see a stock bike come without rear Brakes Stock. :heyyou: :idea:

bloo
I think you misread my post. I said exactly the opposite. Read my two sentences after the one you highlighted. :) And maybe you started riding before I was born but I started riding in 1967. When did you start. :)

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I think you misread my post. I said exactly the opposite. Read my two sentences after the one you highlighted. :) And maybe you started riding before I was born but I started riding in 1967. When did you start. :)
So you started riding Sport Bikes when you were 4yrs old? :dontknow:

If you don't want me guessing stop hiding and update your profile, I did if you want to find out my age it's no secret my profile is current and I started riding Sport Bikes in the 80s that could do over 125mph top speed....you do the math :wink:

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Oh...and I stand corrected. :thumbsup: I seen even one Moderator on this site say he doesn't use the back brake it drives me crazy how can they ride with confidence but realize they must just ride in one area of the country strait lines no curves, No Traffic, No Parking Lots etc... :dontknow:

bloo

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I started riding motorcycles, well minibikes :) in 1967. I started riding legally on the street in 1979. ;) And you made a good guess. I was 4 when I started riding minibikes. I was 5 when I charged all the neighborhood kids 25 cents each to come watch me jump my minibike over my tricycle and little red wagon set end to end between two ramps. I was a huge Evil Knievel fan! :) (Actually I might have been 6 or 7 when that jump happened, it was a long time ago and my memory is fuzzy) :)

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I started riding motorcycles, well minibikes :) in 1967. I started riding legally on the street in 1979. ;) And you made a good guess. I was 4 when I started riding minibikes. I was 5 when I charged all the neighborhood kids 25 cents each to come watch me jump my minibike over my tricycle and little red wagon set end to end between two ramps. I was a huge Evil Knievel fan! :)
I like the History Tdh :thumbsup: I use to charge kids in my neighborhood 25cent to use the pool(not many pools in my area back then) that's when I was 10yrs old....but at that same age I was jumping over cars from a ramp on my bicycle. ...think my first mini bike was 7yrs old but that was short lived never rode dirt bikes went strait to road bikes 125cc then 400cc Kawi at 17yrs old and by 18yrs old I was running a 700 Interceptor. :dontknow:

PS....I should have charged kids when I was in 7th Grade see me jump over 7 kids laying down on the ground on my Skateboard my loss though. :lol:

bloo

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
That's awesome! Yeah, shortly after my infamous minibike jump we moved to the farm and I grew up riding dirt bikes pretty much every single day of my childhood. In fact I still ride dirt bikes and used to race them. My first real street bike I didn't buy until 1981 when I was in the Air Force. Before that I was riding my enduro on the street. Now we have completely jacked this thread!!! :)

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
That's awesome! Yeah, shortly after my infamous minibike jump we moved to the farm and I grew up riding dirt bikes pretty much every single day of my childhood. In fact I still ride dirt bikes and used to race them. My first real street bike I didn't buy until 1981 when I was in the Air Force. Before that I was riding my enduro on the street. Now we have completely jacked this thread!!! :)
We completely Jacked this thread maybe, but it's not thread Jacking if you give Information.

For the OP riding in the rain is hard enough, sometimes the most control you have at times is the back brake....brake to hard on the front and it may wash out on you depending on speed the rear is more forgiving....tread lightly sometimes the back brake can help you. :wink:

:eek:t: Yeah Tdh my first road bike was in 1982 but my first Race Bike was the 1984 700 Interceptor. I was also a New Air Force member I had my Dad create a Crate and ship my bike to me in Mississippi Biloxi....so it seems you got some years on me not much but by 1984 I was well on my way we seem to have alot in common. :wink: :thumbsup:

bloo

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It's funny, I got out of the Air Force after 15 years because I didn't want to take my orders to Biloxi! :) I did attend some school down there on a couple of occasions. I cross trained from Crew Chief on fighters to computer programming and had my school there. Also did NCO academy there. Then got orders to there to be a programming instructor and just got out instead. Okay, now to think of something rear brake related. :) I rear brake in Spain, I rear brake in the rain. Not using your rear brake can be such a pain.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
It's funny, I got out of the Air Force after 15 years because I didn't want to take my orders to Biloxi! :) I did attend some school down there on a couple of occasions. I cross trained from Crew Chief on fighters to computer programming and had my school there. Also did NCO academy there. Then got orders to there to be a programming instructor and just got out instead. Okay, now to think of something rear brake related. :) I rear brake in Spain, I rear brake in the rain. Not using your rear brake can be such a pain.
For the OP ever have to fight in traffic?...look around for cars trying to kill you?......yes using the back brake will help keep things in control when you survey the situations.....bottom line don't listen to anyone saying you don't need a back Brake it may just Break you if you don't fix your rear breaks...yeah...it's corny but I am DEAD SERIOUS!!!

:eek:t: ...You got a Bad Brake TDH....PUN Intented. :lol:

MS Biloxi was ONE of the best ever assignment I ever had and ended up when all said and done Riding in England and Guam....you missed out I think... the Beer Barn and go for rides all the time....it was Great Riding. :wink:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wow, my hats off to you tdh. I did not start riding until I was 18 in 1970. Started with a Honda 50 with a broke kickstarter. Went to a 160 then a 305. Put a rod out the front of the block on that one. Got a new orange Mach lll H1C in spring 72!

I have always used the rear brake as I though necessary. My recent riding class taught to use both brakes for max street stopping.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dude, you probably have old brake lines that are porous and spongy now. Water has gotten into your brake fluid most likely, too and it has become compressible, and this is allowing your lever to travel so far. Your pads are probably shot as well and they are absorbing water. Replace the brake line with a new, braided one, clean the master cylinder and the caliper out with brake cleaner, completely. Replace the seals in the caliper and MC and put it all back together and add new fluid and bleed the hell out of it.
I would recommend DOT5 if you are going to rebuild all components and replace the line. DOT5 is the purple colored fluid that is silicone based and cannot be mixed with any other variation of brake fluid (DOT 3, 4, or 5.1). DOT5 will not absorb or mix with water so it's good for wet locations. Remember, everything has to be completely clean of any of the old fluid and the seals have to be in perfect working order.
If you don't want to use DOT5, DOT4 will work just fine.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

bloo
:thumbsup: There are a few problems.

#1. On the list is the rider, that doesn't have finesse in applying brakes.

And, with that problem, all the other problems don't stand a chance, of being dealt with. :crackup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts