Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone know of a rear caliper upgrade for a gen 5 that doesn't involve the under slung bracket? I have a captive caliper bracket from reactiveparts that I would like to keep.

·
The Pace
7,045 Posts
Don't mess with it. Rear is used so little but needed in emergencies in COMBINATION with the front.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using a thumb brake. Your thumb isn't quite as strong as your ankle. An upgraded caliber and better pads would make it less stressful on my thumb.
The setup is going on my track bike. I use the rear brake to hold the suspension down and change lines during cornering.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,022 Posts
Is it easier to use a thumb brake furring cornering or something? Just want to understand why go with more shit for your hands to have to do

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike has a blipper/quickshifter fitted. The clutch is no longer needed apart from moving off, my left hand is free. The rear brake pedal is difficult to reach in right handed corners. Applying the rear brake mid corner tightens up your line. Making the transition from braking to opening the throttle needs to be smooth, You can come off the front brake while holding the rear and open the throttle slightly and come off the rear at the same time. It keeps the trail braking to throttle opening very smooth. There are a few videos on youtube showing examples. Try a very tight downhill corner (less than 20 mph a left is better, think U turn corner) go round it without the rear brake applied and then with. Makes a huge difference.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,662 Posts
The bike has a blipper/quickshifter fitted. The clutch is no longer needed apart from moving off, my left hand is free. The rear brake pedal is difficult to reach in right handed corners. Applying the rear brake mid corner tightens up your line. Making the transition from braking to opening the throttle needs to be smooth, You can come off the front brake while holding the rear and open the throttle slightly and come off the rear at the same time. It keeps the trail braking to throttle opening very smooth. There are a few videos on youtube showing examples. Try a very tight downhill corner (less than 20 mph a left is better, think U turn corner) go round it without the rear brake applied and then with. Makes a huge difference.
Funny I was going to type a short version of what you said. I want to use a thumb brake also. I use one on my Dirt Bike and love it.

Reactions: hoggyjay
1 - 8 of 8 Posts