Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.

i called mike @ ridersdiscount to order a rear rotor and he sent me a Galfer Wave Rotor.

when in to install it and noticed my brake pads were @ 20% life so I called mike again and he sent me some pads.

installed both and went to put my back wheel back on and noticed that i can not seem to spread the pads enough to accept the rotor.

first thing i did was check the two products to make sure that they were both gen4 zx10 compatible to rule out that and they were. no issues with products.

note that the piston is completely compressed into the rear caliper thus that is not the issue - its almost as the pads are too thick or something, i have no idea, but its damn frustrating :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire: ... out of frustration trying to spread them wider ive nicked a tiny piece out of the pad material and before I do any real damage, or damage the rotor, i needed to post this to ask you guys for some help.

has anyone else ever encountered this? what could i be not doing or not thinking of here?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you remove the cap from the reservoir before pushing in the pistons?
no i did not, i will try that when i get home - but - if the piston is able to be compressed all the way, wouldnt that not be a factor?

i appreciate the troubleshooting, keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
790 Posts
no i did not, i will try that when i get home - but - if the piston is able to be compressed all the way, wouldnt that not be a factor?

i appreciate the troubleshooting, keep the ideas coming.
Maybe not compressed as all the way in as you think. Hard to say not looking at it.

I know it can be a MOFO trying to push the pads back in with the reservoir cap on.

People stick big screwdrivers in there to pry it back and gouge the pads.

I cant think :idea: of anything else if you have the correct parts as you state.

Good luck with it, hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
264 Posts
to make things easier when i install my rear tire I always push back the calipers piston just to make it easier to slide it back onto the rotor. Before doing that I remove the cap from the reservoir so I can push the piston all the way back, Ive tried with it on and I could barely get it to budge so I just took the cover off.

The new pads and rotor would prob make it a bit difficult to install them given they both have as much material as they ever will be. the piston should be able to be pushed back all the way to the body of the caliper.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new pads and rotor would prob make it a bit difficult to install them given they both have as much material as they ever will be.

^exactly...to the point they don't F'n fit... And as Selena mentioned I've already gauged a small piece out trying to use the screwdriver trick lol - so I'll take the cap off and report back - thanks y'all.... Keep the ideas flowing

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts