Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the obvious answer is YES :lol: but for real, read this please...

I'm pushing 47 years old now and still ride it like I stole it.

There is a rash of people in my area I know or acquainted with
that have gotten rid of their of their bikes for one reason or another.
Most, have had a close call or gotten plain scared.

I was at the saw bones and he knows I am a rider and knows my medical history.
And he tells me,"You know you are a statistic right"?
I'm like WTF doc, I know you guys call us riders organ donors,
don't bust my balls K.

He says NO, I mean you are 46 years old, and have survived countless dirt bike crashes,
A triple digit into a guardrail, and a triple digit wheelie unscheduled get off (My wording).
And many close calls (I added).
And yet, you still ride and your still here.
You are a statistic, there aren't many like you and still living.
Most have 1 crash and are done with riding, but not you.
What is it about you that keeps you getting back on a bike after crashing??
I would like to know.

I was like WOW :eyecrazy:
I had to stop and think. (Hurt myself doing so :mrgreen:) OOWW

I said, I don't really know doc, after each unscheduled get off.
And getting home from the hospital,
THE very first thing I would do is,
Jump right back on one of my other bikes, do a wheelie and blaze.
Bandages and all.
I never thought to be scared. Seriously

Now I'm no freakin superman, (Although I sometimes joke and say I am)
Nor do I claim to be some hardass.
But just what is it that makes me have no fear of getting right back on that horse??
I mean really, why do I get pissed at myself for fucking up,
and not get scared to get back on. :dontknow:

Do I have that "Don't give a fuck affliction"??
I'm not saying I don't have any fear or don't scare the bejeezus outta myself sometimes.
Cause I've had some REAL butt clenching moments that I've had to stop and be like,
HOLY SHIT, did that just happen??? WHEEEWWW

But yet, I'm scared to death of my wife getting hurt or worse.
Hell, even friends or acquaintances

So what is it about me that makes me to stupid to quit ???

Cause I flatly fucking refuse to give up riding,
much less riding WFO & triple digit wheelies.

Not trying to be funny here fella's, I'm serious.
Hence the title of the thread.
So how about some serious answers here MM Kay.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Yeah. You should stop riding man. I would. Then just part your bike out, dibs on the body work.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think some of us just like to face our fears. I have gone done numerous times. I first pay to get my bike fix before paying off hospital bills. Need to get back on that bike and face the fear, remind yourself why you love riding. At least that's me.

There aren't my things out there that compare to sitting on a rocket and flying 160mph.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Don, you and I talked about this last year or so.
After I had my disc surgery(6 months after buying the 10R no less of course) I was on short term disability and couldn't drive my STi(Subaru) with race clutch) but when I got OK'd to return to work in 3 weeks I got home from doctors that day and climbed on the 10R and rode for first time in 3 months following back surgery. I was more like " IF I can work, I can ride damnit!!" rather than climb into my drag car. The bike is my rush. Always has been. It's TRUE man vs machine and I am in sole control. No cage, super Brembo ABS, AWD, Recaro seat to get it done. Just me on top of a high horse power motor, my two hands and left foot to make things happen. It is complete satisfaction knowing I am man handling this beast to do what I want it to do.
I don't care how fast of a car you have, an extremely fast bike is way more satisfying and my brain excretes some kinda mellow juice when I am done riding hard unlike anything else I have ever done. And I have tried MANY fixes but none cure the itch like my bikes. Going slow doesn't do shit for me. Gotta go all out sometimes to feel satisfied. I know what you are getting at Don.
Ride on til you can't get a leg over the damn thing anymore.

The BEST saying I think is " EVERYONE DIES BUT NOT EVERYONE LIVES"

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
Its the bills from fixing the bike and paying the tickets thats tempered my riding on the street. If I could afford it though...

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Don, you and I talked about this last year or so.
After I had my disc surgery(6 months after buying the 10R no less of course) I was on short term disability and couldn't drive my STi(Subaru) with race clutch) but when I got OK'd to return to work in 3 weeks I got home from doctors that day and climbed on the 10R and rode for first time in 3 months following back surgery. I was more like " IF I can work, I can ride damnit!!" rather than climb into my drag car. The bike is my rush. Always has been. It's TRUE man vs machine and I am in sole control. No cage, super Brembo ABS, AWD, Recaro seat to get it done. Just me on top of a high horse power motor, my two hands and left foot to make things happen. It is complete satisfaction knowing I am man handling this beast to do what I want it to do.
I don't care how fast of a car you have, an extremely fast bike is way more satisfying and my brain excretes some kinda mellow juice when I am done riding hard unlike anything else I have ever done. And I have tried MANY fixes but none cure the itch like my bikes. Going slow doesn't do shit for me. Gotta go all out sometimes to feel satisfied. I know what you are getting at Don.
Ride on til you can't get a leg over the damn thing anymore.

The BEST saying I think is " EVERYONE DIES BUT NOT EVERYONE LIVES"
I think you hit the nail on the head my friend. :thumbsup:
I just don't have that quit mentality in me.
I know I'm getting old, my wrist, elbows, shoulders, knee's, & hips hurt when riding awhile. I have more scars than I care to mention.
But I will not quit. :headshake:headshake
My head clears when I'm riding and I really feel alive.

When u ride live....when u dont u might as well be dead
Yup, :+1:

I think some of us just like to face our fears. I have gone done numerous times. I first pay to get my bike fix before paying off hospital bills. Need to get back on that bike and face the fear, remind yourself why you love riding. At least that's me.

There aren't my things out there that compare to sitting on a rocket and flying 160mph.
LOL, Luckily I've had good insurance so I didn't have to worry about the medical bills.
My BAD wreck in Ft. Lauderdale in 89, my hospital bill was just over 33K.
Imaging what that would be in today's prices. :eyecrazy:

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah. You should stop riding man. I would. Then just part your bike out, dibs on the body work.
IS YOU CRAZY :eyecrazy::eyecrazy: :lol:
I'd sooner DIE first..

Its the bills from fixing the bike and paying the tickets thats tempered my riding on the street. If I could afford it though...
I hear ya my friend, the amount of shit I've had to eat from the wife over the
money I spend fixing and mod'ing my bike.
But, I haven't had many tickets on my bike because I make sure to chill in town.
I do all my playing out in the country where the police are few and far between.
And it's much harder to even get near me, much less give me a ticket.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guy's, I've had peeps say to me,
"Oh, your having a mid life crisis".
I'm like yup, since I was 8. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't do the stuff that you do. But I love riding. I'm amazed it's legal to ride a bike at all. I know that every time I get on the expressway, I can get run over by an 18-wheeler. But as long as I'm able to ride, I'm not giving it up. I do try to increase the odds in my favor by trying not to do anything stupid, and being focused on what's going on around me, but I know it's a risk every time I go out on the bike. That's just how it is.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with growing up dirtbiking thru the woods, mxing, hare scrambles, etc.

I learned early to forget a close call almost immediately- miss a tree by an inch at 35 mph?- that's the past, there are more important things to think about right now.

hit a tree at 35? Ouch, dammit.........now I have to get home.

I have it nice out here, very little traffic. I'll admit I dont care to ride in the bigger cities. maybe if I lived in one it'd be different..........yeah, it would, I'd move. :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/Az_ABtbLZl8

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,028 Posts
Well, you're not alone. I'm on the cusp of turning 40 next year, have 2 small kids (5 and 3 years old) and have been down a total of 7 times in my 24 years of riding. I just can't give it up or even slow it down.

I've had countless people tell me I'm crazy and when am I going to give it up. I look at them like they have 2 heads, cause they just won't understand it. It's like I've got something to prove. Not to anyone else, but to myself that getting older doesn't mean you get old. My bike has 2 modes - idle mode and pursuit mode! :lol: Triple digit speeds are a regular, as are the stand-up wheelies and knee draggin'. I'm hooked on the adrenalin.

I can't figure it out either and have no answers for you. If you do figure out what causes this thinking, please let me know. I'll probably just ignore it and go on not giving a fuck, but at least I'll know. :wink:

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't do the stuff that you do. But I love riding. I'm amazed it's legal to ride a bike at all. I know that every time I get on the expressway, I can get run over by an 18-wheeler. But as long as I'm able to ride, I'm not giving it up. I do try to increase the odds in my favor by trying not to do anything stupid, and being focused on what's going on around me, but I know it's a risk every time I go out on the bike. That's just how it is.
I will readily admit,
I do not ride like peeps in my age group. Crusty Fuggars :mrgreen: :heyyou:

Maybe it has something to do with growing up dirtbiking thru the woods, mxing, hare scrambles, etc.

I learned early to forget a close call almost immediately- miss a tree by an inch at 35 mph?- that's the past, there are more important things to think about right now.

hit a tree at 35? Ouch, dammit.........now I have to get home.

I have it nice out here, very little traffic. I'll admit I dont care to ride in the bigger cities. maybe if I lived in one it'd be different..........yeah, it would, I'd move. :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/Az_ABtbLZl8
Yeah you do have a point there.
That No Fear attitude instilled at a very young age.

And yes, I freakin DETEST big cities and traffic.
That was the Main contributing factor to me getting my family the hell outta
Atlanta GA back in 2000.
Watching people die daily on I-85, Not for me. :headshake

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed that you started your wheelie at around 50 mph and set it down about 10 seconds later at around 120 ish.

I tend to start at around 80 in 3rd and set it down in the 120 to 140 ish range in 5th.
The fastest I've set one down before I did my gearing change,
was the high 150's to 160 range.

I wish I had a GoPro to put on my bike.

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
What is it about you that keeps you getting back on a bike after crashing??
I would like to know.
Backward logic. Ask him what makes him think that you should stop after a crash.

If he has a patient who broke a leg skiing, does he ask them why they keep skiing?

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,132 Posts
It's not just you Hell, I'm turning 40 next year and still love the canyon and trackdays.I had some get off and hated my self for it because I have to fix the bike:wink: I also tell myself "ware your suit next time..DUMD ASS!" I get back on it and keep going.There's more to life then just being alive..you got to live!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
It's not just you Hell, I'm turning 40 next year and still love the canyon and trackdays.I had some get off and hated my self for it because I have to fix the bike:wink: I also tell myself "ware your suit next time..DUMD ASS!" I get back on it and keep going.There's more to life then just being alive..you got to live!
:+2: Hell, ur post reminds me alot of myself. We around the same age too. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
To answer your question Don. No, there is nothing wrong with you. Everyone has their own way of keeping themself sane in this crazy world. Riding (regardless of skills and speed) gives a rider a different way of stress relief, as if someone who does not ride works out or does any other hobby.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Its not a complicated answer. Riding is a part of us. I'm not going to list injuries, but in 05, I had a real bad one. The only thing that kept me from going suicidal was working on the bike. It was like mental therapy. I felt better. When the bike was somewhat done, I pulled it out the garage.

I felt whole again the second I let out the clutch lever and rode onto the street.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I noticed that you started your wheelie at around 50 mph and set it down about 10 seconds later at around 120 ish.

I tend to start at around 80 in 3rd and set it down in the 120 to 140 ish range in 5th.
The fastest I've set one down before I did my gearing change,
was the high 150's to 160 range.

I wish I had a GoPro to put on my bike.

I like to pick it up at 155+ WoooSaaaahh!!

I had my first street crash in over 22 years of riding (muliple track crashes, some mildly serious), and Ive never even considered giving bikes up.

The crash was from a truck doing a 12 point u-turn on a blind corner.....
After that, my mortality became much more real....I might ride a litle slower, but like you, Im only having fun WFO. Im 42.

I expect that we will see sportbikes outlawed before we retire......Ill quit when they take away my keys, or I cant physically do it any more.

So, we crash...so we get hurt...we heal. Its what we do.

How many folks can say they have done 180+ on two (or one!) wheel? Or raced a liter bike? Or crashed at 140 ??

Can we get killed? Sure...but that can happen walking to the store. I just choose how i prefer to go.....staring it in the face, not hiding from it in a protective bubble. Ive been in combat, aint nothin else in this world comes even close to being scary anymore.

Everybody dies.....not everyone actually Lives.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts