Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been thinking about getting a 10r for a few weeks now and what i'm getting is that this thing has a crap load of power. now, don't get me wrong, on one hand i firmly believe in the old addage that you can't have 2 much power but how often will you ever get to use it on the street? i'm not planning on taking it to the track(at least not at this point) so would i be better off maybe saving a few bucks and getting the 6r? curious to get your take.

·
Registered
471 Posts
This is dumb

Get a ZX-10R and call it a day. You won't use all the power of a 6r either. Ride both and see which one you like.♠

·
Registered
152 Posts
Neither one would you tap into their full potential on the street. The 6R probably makes its peak at around 13000. To ride lazily in the midrange day in and day out, i would rather be on the 10.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It is on you. I have '09 10R, my best friend has an '09 6R I rode his 6 a couple of times it is a phenomenal machine I am very impressed. But on preference I prefer the 10, but that is me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It is on you. I have '09 10R, my best friend has an '09 6R I rode his 6 a couple of times it is a phenomenal machine I am very impressed. But on preference I prefer the 10, but that is me.

You wouldn't happen to know any Batt Boys would you? 75th guys?

If so, PM me.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I'm right there with you man I came off a cbr1000rr to a 09 zx10r and its a beast for sure compared to my honda, but my friend has a 09 zx6r too, I have rode it a couple times, makes me feel like the bike has no power but thats coming down from a 1000 so. What ever you feel the best on get!!!

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
If you get the 6, you'll always wonder if you shoulda got the 10. If you get the 10, you won't care. Get the 10 if you think you're ready for it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I rarely (if ever) use all the 10 has on the street. It's simply too much. for me, the "useful" line is drawn right around 90 hp...anything more than that is simply overkill, and asking for trouble/jail time if used on the street.

However, I think the 10 makes a much better street bike than the 6. The added torque is a godsend in 30 mph traffic. I can lug it around at 4000 rpm, cruising in 6th gear at 65 mph, and it still has plenty of oomph to pull away from grandmas buick without a downshift. Try that on a 6, and you'll end up in her bumper.

I used to have a 600 I rode on the street, and it was a blast....probably more fun than my 10. But not nearly as pleasant to ride, and I certainly wouldn't trade back.

Get the 10, and you won't have to wonder if you should have gotten the one with more power. Besides, aren't the 10R's cheaper than the 6's now anyways? It's kinda crazy, but leftover '08 10R's (new) are going for less than $9k from what I hear. I doubt you could get a 6 at that price!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It all comes down to how big the 2 "B's" are. Budget, and Balls

·
Registered
598 Posts
What kind of answer did you think you were going to get from a site called zx-10r.net? Of course we all think you should get the 10. That said, I have a 636 and a 10R and I always grab the keys to the 10 first. The 636 feels like a mini 10 but to get it to keep up I really have to beat on it. With the 10 I can be lazy and still have enough power to do everything I want to.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
and the 6 would make more sense as a track bike than the 10...i have a 10 and a 600 in my garage...guess which one gets ridden more.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The 10 is only as radical as your wrist. That said if you never open it up that would be like dating Megan Fox and not putting it in her butt; very wasteful.

·
Registered
641 Posts
ok, so now i know who megan fox is. aside form that. i'd rec a leftover '08 10R. They're as cheap as a '09 6r give or take a few. Yes, it is a big deal to be able to lug it around in 6th going 40mph and roll it on and actually be able to move. You could gear a 6r to clutch wheelie easily in 2nd gear. I do love the high RPM squeal of a 600. But I think I like the viceral, brute power of a geared 10R at full throttle much more. Dude, for the money, you can't beat a new/leftover '08 10R.

I can honestly say however that I don't think I scared myself on my 99 GSXR 750 as much in 10k miles as I have on my 10R with 600 miles.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
i've been thinking about getting a 10r for a few weeks now and what i'm getting is that this thing has a crap load of power. now, don't get me wrong, on one hand i firmly believe in the old addage that you can't have 2 much power but how often will you ever get to use it on the street? i'm not planning on taking it to the track(at least not at this point) so would i be better off maybe saving a few bucks and getting the 6r? curious to get your take.
If you are just gonna tool around town get the Naked Z1000.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
if you plan on riding two up at any point then you need the 10.

i have a 6r and riding two up is at best boring, at worst maddening. you literally have no power, and i'm talking about riding with my 115 pound girlfriend. that shit is wack, don't get a 6r for the street.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts