Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Born and raised in DC/MD area and it's where I've been for the last 41 yrs and it's time to bounce! The wife and I have been in discussion about this for the past 2 weeks since we returned from Fla on vacation. Naturally Fla is high on the wish list, especially Central Fla area. But one area of interest is San Antonio Texas, I have family there and people I talk to say it's nice, my wife has visited Austin TX and she loves it. I just wanted to hear pros/cons from anyone on here that resides in these areas. Good roads to ride are a plus lol!Thanks fellas!

·
Banned
347 Posts
Florida is great!!!! Lived in Palm Beach area for about twelve years and loved almost every minute of it. As far as riding goes, they have some pretty straight roads and a bunch of traffic. I guess there are quite a few routes along the coast that are beautiful. and i suppose in central Florida too. Tennessee is my Favorite for riding so far. Never been to San Antonio before.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm originally from The Great State and San Antonio and Austin are both great places. They have just about anything you need and want as far as jobs and entertainment. The only real con I see is San Antonio is a growing city and the population grows bigger every year, yes like most places but I think it will be very crowded population wise very quickly. I guess the answer to that would be to buy a good chunk of land.

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
The only real negative about SA and Austin (in South Texas in general) is the heat. It can get Africa HOT here. Makes you not want to ride, at least with me. A lot of the backroads are very twisty west of I-35 that lead to Luckenbach, Fredricksburg, and the towns west of both cities. Just watch out for critters running across or tried and failed to cross the road. Austin itself is a great city to live in. It has a bit of everything, and even if it doesn't have you want I'm sure you'll find it close. 6th street, Town lake, Zilker park, live music out the wazoo. It's a great city for sure.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Florida is great!!!! Lived in Palm Beach area for about twelve years and loved almost every minute of it. As far as riding goes, they have some pretty straight roads and a bunch of traffic. I guess there are quite a few routes along the coast that are beautiful. and i suppose in central Florida too. Tennessee is my Favorite for riding so far. Never been to San Antonio before.

Thats in the city man:eyecrazy:

I live in Palm Beach kinda out west and we have plenty of routes that run corners. Yes flat for the most part but any where from west palm north to jensen and west towards orlando is solid riding! Not straight at all if you know where to ride:thumbsup: But pro's and con's about florida, no lie, we have the highest % of 65+ out of any state! Meaning lots of old town cars in the city doing 17mph:crackup: I love palm beach, the riding isnt the best but I have some routes that kill corners:thumbsup: If I moved to florida though again I'd def. be up north more around orlando or something! Much better riding from what I hear up there:eek:ccasion1

ps north florida=georgia, south florida=florida...north=nice people, south=what ever lol

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
The only real negative about SA and Austin (in South Texas in general) is the heat. It can get Africa HOT here. Makes you not want to ride, at least with me. A lot of the backroads are very twisty west of I-35 that lead to Luckenbach, Fredricksburg, and the towns west of both cities. Just watch out for critters running across or tried and failed to cross the road. Austin itself is a great city to live in. It has a bit of everything, and even if it doesn't have you want I'm sure you'll find it close. 6th street, Town lake, Zilker park, live music out the wazoo. It's a great city for sure.
:+1:....AMEN to that!!!!!! BUT i still love good ol' TX! I wasn't born here but i got here as fast as i could!! (saw that on a bumper sticker once):mrgreen:

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
Born and raised here in central Florida. Its the same here as abprep07 mentioned. There are alot of retirees from all over that live here. There are some great roads to ride. The one thing I dont like is most of the great twisties (@ least that I know of) are just minutes long. Id love to find set that lasted for 30 or 40 minutes instead of 3 or 4 minutes. Most of the roads I ride take 15 to get to and 3 to blast. I wish that were the other way around.

·
Registered
653 Posts
there are quite a few beautiful, non traffic twisty roads in cantral fl.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I'm moving to South Florida in a week. I live in SC right now, and all things considered i have the best roads around to ride on. I live an hour from the Dragon, 45 min from the parkway, etc etc. While all that is great, living in this area totally sucks (my opnion of course). There is nothing to do, its boring as sin. Moving to So Fla will have its draw backs from riding a little bit, im sure ill miss some twisty's, but everything thing else about life, entertainment, will be so much better. I dont think you could go wrong moving to either place.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Wherever you choose, look at crime rates and statistics for that area. I always do, you can live in the best city but if you are always being robbed or worried about crime, it just ruins everything.

I'd say stay away from, Certain areas of miami, Dallas, jacksonville, Tampa, and orlando. Most cities have troubled area but the ones I have down have the some of the highest rates.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow guys thanks for all the feedback! Fla, Tex, are the faves with N.C. having an outside chance.....one things for sure, we gots to go lol!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
don't forget Cleveland

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
come to a whales vagina!! (san diego)

I lived in central FL my whole life. When i joined the Marines i was fortunate enough to be stationed at camp pendleton CA. I will NEVER EVER EVER move back to FL. The weather sucks all the time, the roads are as straight and flat as could be, and the beaches are crap (although its cool you can drive on them).

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Wow guys thanks for all the feedback! Fla, Tex, are the faves with N.C. having an outside chance.....one things for sure, we gots to go lol!
I was just joking with NYC. If I was to leave here it would be back to NC fo sho or out west (just to try it)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts