Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Re:palm Pre: the 1st REAL iphone competitor has arrived

move along blackberry, nokia, windows mobile, lg, and G1, the real iphone competitor has finally arrived.
Palm, the uncle of all things pds/smartphone-related, has stepped-up to raise the game levels to new heights. with their newly announced Palm Pre at CES, they may have a winner here. apple better keep an eye on this formerly old has been. no wonder Bono just handed over his $100 million to help out Palm just this past december.
this new Palm wireless charging + user-replaceable battery sounds appealing but aside from some features the apps seemed to have been taken straight from the iphones unlocked library and app store. on the other hand, this is the best iphone copycat so far. it's the iphone/G1/blackberry/HTC all rolled into one clean-looking frankenstein. they even copied an unlocked app known as quickgold app (a program launcher/search engine)and natetrue's Dock jailbreak app
looking at the present development, apple truly did revolutionize the mobile computing and hardware with the release of the iphone. i challenge anyone to name smartphone/gadget w/out a single element influenced by it sine the iphone debut. that being said, this new move by palm just picked-up on apple's ballgame. for us, it's definitely a huge benefit. that's because the future of our most beloved iphone is now brighter than ever. just imagine the possibilities... :)

the palm in a nut shell
http://i.gizmodo.com/5126702/palm-pre-preview-simply-amazing

a breakdown between the iphone/pre/G1
http://i.gizmodo.com/5126870/in-a-nutshell-palm-pre-vs-iphone-vs-g1?skyline=true&s=x

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
unfortunately i cant have a cool phone because it wont last in my job, but that thing looks sweet. i dont know how i feel about the key pad though.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately i cant have a cool phone because it wont last in my job, but that thing looks sweet. i dont know how i feel about the key pad though.
what do you do?
im an eng mechanic, i put myself through some messy situations on a daily basis. fortunatly becasue the iphone has no solid keyboard i have a hardcase the protects the entire thing from shock and such and i can still use my touch screen (its a thermal touch screen no need to press)

ill take it out of the case from time to time clean it and its amazing to see how well it protected my phone from damage

·
Registered
454 Posts
my problems with this post you cant say something has arrived when its not in production yet.

and from what i understand in CES they had a demo phone with a powerpoint show of features they plan to have on it?

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
im too lazy to open up the link :wink:
whats the OS in this things?

I really love symbian and winblows ppc because they are easy to code with the sdk's. Unlike the Iphone, I was stuck with java :(

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Looks weak compared to the iphone! :badteeth: I won't be buying.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks weak compared to the iphone! :badteeth: I won't be buying.
its promising in its own little way but not a serious threat. i think it will benefit future iphone owners because apple is likely to react by apply what they shouldve in the first place come newer firmware or the next iphone

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive played with the storm and found it a bit over rated but if youre stuck with verizon then enjoy, personally id go with something else

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Palm Pre

You know what hesaves, I actually agree with you on this one, I'm pretty sure this may be my next phone. The OS looks bad azz. I did hear Rumors the phone is exclusive at launch for Sprint in the first half of 2009.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/the-palm-pre/

so the question is are you willing to switch over to Sprint just to get the phone. I've been with Sprint forever now, and the CS sucks azz.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If I had sprint I would probably go for it but im sticking with the fact that until the phone is out and in my hands, I wont get into the hype

·
Registered
192 Posts
ive played with the storm and found it a bit over rated but if youre stuck with verizon then enjoy, personally id go with something else
I'm stuck with verizon which happens to rule around here with coverage. I'm no power user and actually have only had average flip phones by LG for the last 6 years or so(vx6100,8300,8350, they were all excellent esp. the 6100 and 8300). So this Smart phone PDA thing is all new to me. I've researched online till my eyes about exploded. After that I had all but decided on the Dare. In the store I wasn't that nuts about the Storm except the full BB web browsing abilities, and instant email ect... The cllick touch screen seemed harder to use (although I noticed the benefit when surf n clickn on the web)

Finally getting to my point here. I sucked it up on the extra $15 per month data/web charge and got the Storm 2 days ago. It took less than a 90% battery charge to grow very fond of this phone.
Positives
#1 The broswer is very good. <--thats a period
#2 They come updated since that origional .65 firmware take it back bullcrap
and more updates since.
#3 The click screen/touch screen starts to become MUCH easier to use/navigate rather quickly, a few custom hover and tap setting changes and it is good. Not iphone good but good. hint! put training wheels on by setting a beep sound with the click at 1st untill you familiarize yourself with the keyboard and watch the blue tracer and keyboard alot more.
#4 Instant email on the go is sweet
#5 The battery life is much much better than I expected.
The only Negative so far
#1 It is that awkward BB shape sorta and kinda Heavy (big deal huh)
#2 When using in standard phone mode the ear speaker has a slight synthisized sound to it. However the speaker phone works perfect from both parties perspective.
#3 I'm so use to LG menu/option/layout and some things that only made sense before are bugging me.

Bottom line It will take some getting use to it, and mostly me needing to adapt (using voice call and bluetooth while driving for example) no more one hand flip open and dial with a couple buttons. No more pitching it around and dropping it on rough concrete several times per week. And for a long while, no more being jealous of mobile web users. If my laptop isn't in front of me, this phone is getting harder and harder to put down.
I'M SO GLAD I DIDN'T GET THE DARE.:badteeth:

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I gues the rumor going around- from my buddies wife who work at verizon, is that they're releasing the iPhone (new version) and their 4G network in nov.!!!!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I have a blackberry pearl and its the biggest piece of shit i have ever owne. My phone upgrage is in a month or two and I am done with blackberry. They are shit and junk. I have been looking at the Samsong Omnia though

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
I use a HTC Athena with a cooked 6.1 ROM that was taken from a Touch. It works well but if the Pre is as good as they say it is I may take a look at it. I have to be able to do reports on it so a form of Office will be a must, or at least support my docs. Looks promising.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts