Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using an RC balance charger for their lipos as a cheaper alternative? I ask because you can find those chargers for next to nothing on RC sites. Just not sure what would be appropriate.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,621 Posts
Is anyone using an RC balance charger for their lipos as a cheaper alternative? I ask because you can find those chargers for next to nothing on RC sites. Just not sure what would be appropriate.

Doubtful the connectors are even close to the same or that the charger rates are compatible. Most RC batteries only have 1 or 2 cells. The bike batteries have up to 8 that need balancing. Get the correct charger for the battery.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doubtful the connectors are even close to the same or that the charger rates are compatible. Most RC batteries only have 1 or 2 cells. The bike batteries have up to 8 that need balancing. Get the correct charger for the battery.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Youre right...the charger rates on most are maH. PLus they lack the large guage wire. I have a few RC lipos laying around and it got me to thinking.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes a Lipo RC charger would make an excellent bike battery charger. Look for one that does 4S which is 4 cells in series. Lipo cells are 3.7v x 4 = 14.8 which is perfect for a motorcycle battery. Charge at 2000mah which is 2 amps. Some of the RC chargers can do large current even up to 50amps which is a lot of current. Most are processor controlled with lcd display and are way better charge control than Schumacher automotive crap. Most will handle different cell configurations ie 4s (14.8v), 6s (22.2v) or 8s (29.6v) = 2 12v in series. The Shorai battery is 4 lipo cells in series. They are 4ah or 6ah and Shorai uprates their specs to say they match a 12ah, 16ah... 20ah lead acid battery (not really). The lipos can be used to 80% DOD (depth of discharge) so they double the lipo ah to match a 50% DOD lead acid battery.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes a Lipo RC charger would make an excellent bike battery charger. Look for one that does 4S which is 4 cells in series. Lipo cells are 3.7v x 4 = 14.8 which is perfect for a motorcycle battery. Charge at 2000mah which is 2 amps. Some of the RC chargers can do large current even up to 50amps which is a lot of current. Most are processor controlled with lcd display and are way better charge control than Schumacher automotive crap. Most will handle different cell configurations ie 4s (14.8v), 6s (22.2v) or 8s (29.6v) = 2 12v in series. The Shorai battery is 4 lipo cells in series. They are 4ah or 6ah and Shorai uprates their specs to say they match a 12ah, 16ah... 20ah lead acid battery (not really). The lipos can be used to 80% DOD (depth of discharge) so they double the lipo ah to match a 50% DOD lead acid battery.

:thumbsup:

Is this a good example of what would work on a 4 cell or an 8 cell (speedcell or alien motion lipo) I now have both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts