Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a noise coming from my bike for awhile, but its just recently gotten quite a bit louder. Basically there's no noise at idle, but as I take off I get a rattling noise. I haven't checked the exact rpm(I will tomorrow), but it seems to be pretty consistent with rpm and it starts somewhat low in the rev range. It happens on or off throttle and it seems like its coming from really high up(when I first head it I thought it was head bearings or something), but it's hard to tell. The bike is due for a valve check, but I can't do that until my other bike is good to go so I can still get to work and school. It runs perfectly besides this noise. If anyone has any ideas or things to test I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
What about sitting and giving it a slight rev!then see if you get a rattle if you pull the clutch in at idle!sometimes especially if my bike is cold and first start for a week or so if I pull the clutch in there's a slight rattle!I give it a slight rev and it's gone!I have read heaps of Kwak owners with clutch noises so in my case it's no biggy!another is camchain noises on the gen4 also

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to be entirely independent of the clutch. And camchain noise is something I'm thinking it possibly could be, but its a gen1 so idk if they're known for that. I imagine not meaning something's wrong(bad CCT?) As soon as I get my supermoto finished(hopefully next weekend) I'm going to open her up for valves and I should be able to check the camchain tension at that point.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
My Gen 1 makes cam chain noise. Might just be getting close to the time for it to bump another tooth. Thats all. Generally I can hear it at idle though. And if you're not, itll possibly be something else. Whats your mileage, and have you done anything recently to it?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Clutch baskets are known to be noisy on these bikes. The gear and basket develop play between them. No big deal. The big cams and solid lifters are also noisy on the zx10. Shim it, and reset the CCT. After resetting, Back out the body 1-2mm then screw it back down. This will preload the chain a little bit more. Some noise is normal.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
some gen 1 had a front upper fairing vibration that would sound just like engine noise. ride it up to the noise and press down with one hand on the windshield/upper fairing to see if stops. just had one of these last month. if not go to cam chain. pop the bolt off the end of the tensioner and remove spring, stays locked in place while u remove the tensioner with 2 bolts. carefully click it in 1 notch at a time and reinstall tensioner replacing spring and bolt after bolted back up. repeat until quiet. whine when revving indicates too tight. 1 or 2 clicks will quiet it down.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
some gen 1 had a front upper fairing vibration that would sound just like engine noise. ride it up to the noise and press down with one hand on the windshield/upper fairing to see if stops.
:+1: I've gotta pull up just a hair on my windscreen, try that & see if it goes away. The ram air tube cracks sometimes too, check that & make sure the bolts are all there & tight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you find out what's the sound?
I think my bike its starting to sound a little bit. My friends Gen 5 it's been in the dealer 3 times for that same sound. They changed the tensioner 3 times but the sounds comes back again and again.
I've had a noise coming from my bike for awhile, but its just recently gotten quite a bit louder. Basically there's no noise at idle, but as I take off I get a rattling noise. I haven't checked the exact rpm(I will tomorrow), but it seems to be pretty consistent with rpm and it starts somewhat low in the rev range. It happens on or off throttle and it seems like its coming from really high up(when I first head it I thought it was head bearings or something), but it's hard to tell. The bike is due for a valve check, but I can't do that until my other bike is good to go so I can still get to work and school. It runs perfectly besides this noise. If anyone has any ideas or things to test I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts