Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Original thread with pics of paint job is here

Thanks. Sure thing. Here's how I did what I did thus far...
  • washed the plastics to be painted with Dawn dish washing soap to remove any grime and grease...there are products available for this, but Dawn works just fine
  • scuffed the existing paint with 400 grit paper until the surfaces are uniform, smooth and hazy
  • wash and dry to remove sanding residue
  • took some wire and an old socket (as in socket wrench), ran wire through existing holes in inconspicuous places on the plastics and tied off to the socket...suspended the piece from the garage door opener so I wouldn't have to touch or move it while I was painting
  • spray two light (not fully covering) coats of primer keeping can about 8" away from the piece you're painting...start and end beyond the edges of the piece with smooth, even, overlapping strokes...wait 10 minutes in between coats
  • spray one wet coat of primer...allow to dry about 30-45 minutes
  • wet sand the primer with 800 grit paper until primer coat is smooth and then rinse well
  • repeat the last two steps
  • spray two light coats of color (again, not fully covering) keeping the can about 8" away from the piece you're painting...start and end beyond the edges of the piece with smooth, even, overlapping strokes...wait 10 minutes in between coats
  • spray two wet coats of color...wait about 10 minutes in between coats
  • allow color coat to dry for about an hour
  • spray two light coats of gloss clear...same technique as primer and color coats...wait about 10 minutes between coats
  • spray four wet coats of clear waiting about 10 minutes between coats
  • let clear dry...I typically wait over night
  • wet sand clear with 2000 grit sand paper until the finish feels completely slippery...and then sand just a little more...making sure that you are constantly running water on the piece...also, I find that liquid hand soap makes for a good lubricant while sanding
  • rinse and dry piece
  • use Meguiars Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner as per directions on bottle...do it twice...it makes a huge difference
  • use Meguiars Deep Crystal System Polish as per directions on bottle...do it twice...again, the second application makes a world of difference
  • use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax...two coats
That's pretty much it...pay special attention to the edges...and above all...TAKE YOUR TIME...rushing even just a little bit can cause an eff up that will end up making you take twice as much time in the end (sanding down paint runs blows)

Let me know if you have any questions...

oh...forgot to add that after you wet sand the clear it will look hazy...no worries...that's what the Meguire's is for...

thanks guys

1 - 2 of 2 Posts