Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...as most of you know my baby's got owies from an "incident" a couple weekends ago. In an effort to decide if I wanted to stay with the matte Ti paint or not I decided to go to my local Pep Boys and grab some rattle cans to test colors. The red I got looked like ass...red is one of those colors that either looks really good on a vehicle or really not...this was not. I also picked up a metalflake color called ocean blue. It's a little darker than the candy plasma blue that comes stock and it looks awesome.

So...being the obsessive asshole that I am, I did some research and then took the damaged piece that I was using to test colors on, painted it, wet-sanded, clear coated, wet-sanded again, used rubbing compound and then a polish and then a wax. I gotta say that it turned out DAMN good. Even color, no runs, no orange peel and a seriously deep mirror-like finish.

So I have a question for you auto body types...I did all the sanding and polishing and whatnot by hand. The piece I did was a mid fairing and because of the nooks and crannies I didn't use a sanding block. Is there an advantage to using a mechanical sander or buffer other than speed?

I'm planning to do the rest of the bike the same way and if I do, I'll post pix...it's all already effed up anyway...worst case scenario, I figure, is that I'll have to replace a couple parts and then pay a professional (probably extra for coming in behind a rattle can) to do the rest.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Believe me you'll have a better result if you take your time and wet sand by hand. Remember its all in the prep. You can make a rattle can job look $10000 and make a $10000 job look like crap.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
IF you are planning on using spray paint, especially on the tank, you may want to conscider getting a automotive grade clear over at least the tank, yes you can make the paint look great by wetsanding and polishing, but gasoline spills will seriously mess up your standard rattle can paint job.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so far, I've hand sanded and I bought a cheap 6" polisher...I used Maguires crystal paint cleaner and crystal polish then finished with Maguires paste cleaner and wax...here's what I've got so far...pix taken with phone...tail hasn't been cleared and I'm painting the center undertail section semigloss black...this side panel is effed up too bad to put back on the bike (see the big ding in the middle of the panel? that's scuff, not a flaw in the paint) and is my test piece...just to see if I could do this...

how I did it is listed here

I'll post more when I do more :)

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
1 of the best paint jobs that i've seen was with a boom-can.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
looking pretty Good from the pics WIKED:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
looks good

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
hmmmm, i've been thinking of doing this on the rc51. so it turned out pretty good as it looks so by your pics

·
Registered
362 Posts
Looks real good :thumbsup:. I have thought about doing the rattle can once I get some track fairings for the bike. Figure I would lay it down sometime so no need to go to expensive on making it look good. Now I know it can look good and be inexpensive.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
lookin very swish :thumbsup:

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
I like it keep it up and i will send u mine to add some ghost flames :)

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not a big rattle can fan but thats lookin good
I'll send it all to you after I eff it up, trey...this actually just started out as a color test to see if I wanted to change the color or not...after I painted that side panel I just wanted to see if I could make it not look like crap...

1 - 20 of 149 Posts