Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have an 06 ZX10.... every once in a while I mistakenly take off from a stop in a higher gear than first. When I do I hear a rapping grinding sound. The bike has always done this and today I decided to ask the experts what the hell they think this could be. The front sprocket is solid with no play. When I first heard this I was thinking cam chain. But really if it was the cam chain I doubt the motor would still be running. Clutch? I just don't have a clue. When it happens it sounds really bad. But then I downshift and its fine. Any ideas where this noise could be coming from? It's been doing this for years. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
460 Posts
Guys, I have an 06 ZX10.... every once in a while I mistakenly take off from a stop in a higher gear than first. When I do I hear a rapping grinding sound. The bike has always done this and today I decided to ask the experts what the hell they think this could be. The front sprocket is solid with no play. When I first heard this I was thinking cam chain. But really if it was the cam chain I doubt the motor would still be running. Clutch? I just don't have a clue. When it happens it sounds really bad. But then I downshift and its fine. Any ideas where this noise could be coming from? It's been doing this for years. Thanks Mike
Hard to say for sure but my money is on the clutch. Firstly, I would suggest making sure you always start in 1st gear as starting in the higher gears puts extra wear on the clutch plates. Just give a double tap down on shift lever at stop to make sure. The grinding could be a couple things but in my older gixxer I actually had the bolt come loose that holds the shift plate on behind the clutch basket. Once torqued back down the grinding noise was gone and I was back on the road.

The simple fix is just start off in 1st gear! You say no issues when starting off that way so there ya go. However, if you want to dig deeper you should start by pulling clutch and check for anything unusual.

Also, check chain slack. Maybe chain is way too loose as well..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, chain is not loose. Starting off in first is a good idea. But every once in a while I don't get it all the way down like today. It's like going to the doctor and saying " it hurts when I do this" and your reply is "then don't do that" lol. Just wondering if anyone's had the same issue.

·
Registered
101 Posts
When you say cam chain noise I am guessing you are talking about engine knock? Normal for every bike even if you drag the clutch to compensate cuz of taking off in higher gear. Anyways I gota pill for it, you need a gear indicator that makes it much easier to know what gear your in :grin2: and I have one for sale right here off my 2006 --> https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f25/pazzo-levers-gipro-atre-350289.html#post4462329

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would love to have a gear indicator or at least something that tells me I'm in top gear. I try an upshift from sixth just about every ride. A top gear light should gave been stock on every one of these

1 - 5 of 5 Posts