Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, before leaving for a day of riding around Mt. St. Helens, I thought I would rant a little (since I'm waiting for wife to get back from work so we can go). Tires. All these folks wanting tires that they don't really need (like DCIII's on low power bikes) and all these folks talking about wasting their tires in 1,500-2,000 miles. The vast majority of us don't need DCIII's, we don't ride our bikes hard enough. I'm guessing that I "need" the traction of the DCIII's less than 5% of my riding time, and that there are a bunch of tires that would give enough performance during that 5% of the time. I get the DCIII's because they give me some piece of mind, knowing the numbers above. However, I haven't put them onto any bike less than a literbike. Then, the folks that are going through tires at under 2,000 miles. There is a small percentage of those folks that are riding their bikes so hard that they truly are doing this. The majority of folks (maybe you) are either running your bike with your tire pressure too low or have the suspension set-up totally wrong!!! I have run DCIII's at 36-38 on the track out of curiosity, and didn't feel much slime at all (I'm not "fast", but I can run at the front of an intermediate group on an average trackday). Now, I feel better!!! I will feel much better when I am on my motorcycle enjoying the roads around Mt. St. Helens...............................Later.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so are you enjoying that summer heat up your way ???
We were riding our bikes in Oregon during the worst of it, and it was cooler in Eastern Oregon than in Seattle. This week, it has cooled dramatically. About 65 today, versus 105, 8 days ago.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
We were riding our bikes in Oregon during the worst of it, and it was cooler in Eastern Oregon than in Seattle. This week, it has cooled dramatically. About 65 today, versus 105, 8 days ago.
Yeah, that's rare. Generally E WA is sweltering compared to Seattle area. But I know there were a few record days over there that changed it up.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Just out of curiosity how many miles are you getting out of your DCIII's?

Agreed that not everybody needs such high end tires. I'm like you...sort of. I don't need the highest performance most tires provide these days. The majority of my riding is spent commuting and getting in between my house and the fun places to ride. But the thing is, when I arrive at those fun places to ride, I need all the grip I can get. Even for the commuting I do, there are a few spots where I can have a little fun, so I like having grip there. I also NEED for my tires not to slide when the cars and trucks in front of me slam on their brakes, or I need to avoid some cow that got loose or whatever critter jumps out in the road...it happens all the time.

I know most people could make due with a set of lesser performing tires, but for the minimal price difference, why compromise? The lowest price for any decent set of tires is still over $200 + mount/balance and all that. Mid-tier tires are $250-ish. Why not just spend the few extra coins and get the best? Obviously, DCIII's (and most of the Pirelli tires) are going to be $50-100 more than that, but again it's such a small difference in the grand scheme of things that it's not a huge deal to just splurge.

As far as tires being wasted at 1500-2000 miles...well, I never had that happen. They may not be perfect at that point, but not wasted. Race tires like PR other DOT compounds...maybe, but not a regular street tire, unless you're doing burnouts and shit like that all the time.

Hell, in the end how many of us NEEDS a ZX-10R or any other liter bike to do our thang? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Well the way I see it is If I'm going to put tires on and I still have a job they are going to be the best I can get. I track my bike all the time but here we run around 30-32 on the 2CT's. I don't know how the temp in your neck of the woods makes it any different. But it is hot as a mofo here in the winter and stock tire pressure will kill a hippy. Hey how is that track in Kent by the way?

·
Registered
524 Posts
:
Just out of curiosity how many miles are you getting out of your DCIII's?

Agreed that not everybody needs such high end tires. I'm like you...sort of. I don't need the highest performance most tires provide these days. The majority of my riding is spent commuting and getting in between my house and the fun places to ride. But the thing is, when I arrive at those fun places to ride, I need all the grip I can get. Even for the commuting I do, there are a few spots where I can have a little fun, so I like having grip there. I also NEED for my tires not to slide when the cars and trucks in front of me slam on their brakes, or I need to avoid some cow that got loose or whatever critter jumps out in the road...it happens all the time.

I know most people could make due with a set of lesser performing tires, but for the minimal price difference, why compromise? The lowest price for any decent set of tires is still over $200 + mount/balance and all that. Mid-tier tires are $250-ish. Why not just spend the few extra coins and get the best? Obviously, DCIII's (and most of the Pirelli tires) are going to be $50-100 more than that, but again it's such a small difference in the grand scheme of things that it's not a huge deal to just splurge.

As far as tires being wasted at 1500-2000 miles...well, I never had that happen. They may not be perfect at that point, but not wasted. Race tires like PR other DOT compounds...maybe, but not a regular street tire, unless you're doing burnouts and shit like that all the time.

Hell, in the end how many of us NEEDS a ZX-10R or any other liter bike to do our thang? :mrgreen:

Well said. Can't add a thing.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Too many Ranters!

And if I want the best tire money can buy,and ride like a poser what business is it of yours to suggest what kind of tire I need!
My tire inflated to my specs or needs is my personal settings,how I dive into a turn,rate of angle or attack is a personal peference I like,it might not be to your standards or desires but thats why no 2 riders are alike.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
So, before leaving for a day of riding around Mt. St. Helens, I thought I would rant a little (since I'm waiting for wife to get back from work so we can go). Tires. All these folks wanting tires that they don't really need (like DCIII's on low power bikes) and all these folks talking about wasting their tires in 1,500-2,000 miles. The vast majority of us don't need DCIII's, we don't ride our bikes hard enough. I'm guessing that I "need" the traction of the DCIII's less than 5% of my riding time, and that there are a bunch of tires that would give enough performance during that 5% of the time. I get the DCIII's because they give me some piece of mind, knowing the numbers above. However, I haven't put them onto any bike less than a literbike. Then, the folks that are going through tires at under 2,000 miles. There is a small percentage of those folks that are riding their bikes so hard that they truly are doing this. The majority of folks (maybe you) are either running your bike with your tire pressure too low or have the suspension set-up totally wrong!!! I have run DCIII's at 36-38 on the track out of curiosity, and didn't feel much slime at all (I'm not "fast", but I can run at the front of an intermediate group on an average trackday). Now, I feel better!!! I will feel much better when I am on my motorcycle enjoying the roads around Mt. St. Helens...............................Later.

Uhh, there is way more to it, than what your rant covers.

We have lots of choices on brands now, that (on public road use) are secure. The DCIII's are the most compliant, to rough roads, which allows your suspension to work better (the tires being part of the suspension). That allows you to apply more power, longer.

So... if that is important...:helmet:

·
Registered
916 Posts
And if I want the best tire money can buy,and ride like a poser what business is it of yours to suggest what kind of tire I need!
My tire inflated to my specs or needs is my personal settings,how I dive into a turn,rate of angle or attack is a personal peference I like,it might not be to your standards or desires but thats why no 2 riders are alike.
:+1: Absolutely agree... and the factory tires are just fine, they are not on these bikes for no reason... I have the BT016 on mine and love them... put them on the 10 anytime again, why spend $200 dollars more for PiPo or the likes, when they are not any better or don't last as long?

·
Registered
147 Posts
if you go through the sides before then middle, then you are probably riding hard enough to need them. if the sides are still looking brand new and the middle is shagged, get a harder tyre maybe.

either way youve got 2 credit card sized patches on the road whatever gives you more confidence is worth it if you have the money

·
Registered
277 Posts
Additionally, cornering loads on tires have absolutely nothing to do with horsepower at relatively constant speeds. The notion that bikes with less power need lesser tires is totally wrong.

Horsepower would only be a factor in such an equation if you were wacking the throttle open at every apex, inducing spin.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
By the way I love my DC IIIs and have them as piece of mind just because of a "just in case" occasion.

The one thing that kills me is the tires gone in under 2000 miles...Even riding 40+ miles to work and riding 20+ miles of pretty good twisties daily last year and earlier, I have never gotten less than 4000 out of my Corsa IIIs. Heck I did not even include weekend rides. Then again I wear them to the wear bar before changing...No sense in wasting rubber just to say I rode them through in 3k.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a great time riding around Mt. St. Helens, and I'm in a much better mood. Obviously anyone can buy whatever tires they want for their bike. Obviously, I think the DCIII's are worth the extra 100-150 per set (even though it is more peace of mind than need for me). The people I'm ranting'ish toward are the folks that are just full of CRAP. The ones that ruin tires due to their lack of knowledge or skill, and then think they are wearing them out. And, if nobody ever rants about the foolishness or stupidity our country is going to be so PC that we need a manuel to know how to talk.

In response to somebodies question, I tend to replace them at about 3500 miles (it depends upon the mileage and when the next trackday is).

·
Registered
463 Posts
hey!

I rode up to windy ridge yesterday with my gf on the back. i've lived in the nw all my life, but that was my first trip to WR. It seemed like it took forever on the bike. I can only imagine how long it would take in a truck or car.

that road from cougar to WR is pretty close motorcycle heaven.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey!

I rode up to windy ridge yesterday with my gf on the back. i've lived in the nw all my life, but that was my first trip to WR. It seemed like it took forever on the bike. I can only imagine how long it would take in a truck or car.

that road from cougar to WR is pretty close motorcycle heaven.
My favorite ride is from Cougar to Randall and back, and back...........

·
Registered
795 Posts
:fu2: I DO!! :kneel:

That's RIGHT, me NEEDS a literbike. Anything else is just too damn small.

:stir: anyone riding anything else is just plain skerrrrd :thefinger

any other questions :heyyou: :nana: :nana: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:moon: :popcorn2:

·
Registered
777 Posts
All these folks wanting tires that they don't really need (like DCIII's...

I get the DCIII's because they give me some piece of mind.
So, you don't need the DC3's, but you buy them anyway. Then you're gonna rant about "all these folks" not needing them? Maybe these people would like some piece of mind as well.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, you don't need the DC3's, but you buy them anyway. Then you're gonna rant about "all these folks" not needing them? Maybe these people would like some piece of mind as well.
Rants aren't meant to be totally logical!!! And, logical or not, it doesn't change the facts, those of which we will never agree upon (we, meaning the "big" we). I'm guessing at least a few of the folks that responded with negativity (vailed or not) had this rub them a little personally................

1 - 20 of 21 Posts