Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i lost a bolt randomly on one of my case covers on the right side. I have never touched that bolt and then when i went to replace the bolt i noticed that there was a fat stress crack. my bike has only 5500 miles on it never down . Never touched that side . What do you think for a solution. sucks i haven't even made a full pass on it yet and i was suppose to go to the track this weekend.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
That's a crazy place to develop a crack. 8/

Check you starter clutch, gears, and rods in there and see if anything is fishy. If everything checks out you might have just had a flawed case. It is possible that the bolt came loose on that idler shaft and starting it -might- have let enough play in there to give it leverage to damage the case, but that doesn't seem to likely. It honestly just looks like a crappy case or an over-torqued plug/bolt along the way. :(

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i will just JB weld for now. and replace the bolt just wanted to make sure it wasn't some sort of issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So now i am getting a clunking sound about 1 out 5 starts it goes clunk like something is binding up. I took off the cover and inspected the gear and area button no marks or anything looks fine.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
that's not a stress crack, pretty sure that clunking and binding and crack are related. need to pull full cover, clutch hub and inspect everything from crank gear behind hub to starter. break off one of the case tabs that also positions and secures starter gear shafts on case side and u will need total teardown and cases. cause of clunking/binding needs to be determined and fixed.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Deflection in that cover could be allowing the idler gear to misalign. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the source of the clunking - and the abnormal stresses from the missing bolt are the source of the crack in the first place. It's even possible that the shaft deflection is pulling the gear teeth out of engagement.

Take the covers off and make sure the engine spins over evenly without any odd noises. If you've got mechanical jamming (incorrect valve timing, carbon build-up on the pistons hitting the head, etc) it could very easily overstress the starting motor and cause that crack and the nasty noises.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys i got inside the cover and checked everything out. Looks good no metal shavings no damage to any gears. I turned the motor over by hand several times and it sounds good no crazy sounds. Once it starts it runs great i took it to the drags last weekend and ran it. And the hotter the bike got the more frequent the clunking starts became. So i replaced the battery thinking maybe it had a bad cell and it wasn't engaging the starter completely. So i don't know maybe when i spayed it on the dyno it messed something up. Drags are tonight again i was hoping to go . What you guys think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was wanting to goto the drags tonight but I have a clunk sound on takeoffs after installing 905 race sliders. I prefer to figure out and fix the problem before I put that link of stress on my bike & brake something.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
...can you take a video of said clunking? Did you take the starter clutch off the crank and inspect it. If you were local I'd take a look at it for ya.... video is the next best thing. :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
hard to pinpoint, but had a bike similiar to your video. engine had been replaced, good battery, and doing same thing, slow to crank, more u cranked, more it seemed it wanted to kick back, worse after cranked and heated up and engine sounded off. seemed as your heading a high ign. timing issue where starter wanted to kick out. also sounded flat when running. had a bad ground from the negative pole on battery, good ground direct to engine immediately fixed everything. if not that, i agree with spaz, finish cking complete starter drive system, means pulling clutch hub.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
hard to pinpoint, but had a bike similiar to your video. engine had been replaced, good battery, and doing same thing, slow to crank, more u cranked, more it seemed it wanted to kick back, worse after cranked and heated up and engine sounded off. seemed as your heading a high ign. timing issue where starter wanted to kick out. also sounded flat when running. had a bad ground from the negative pole on battery, good ground direct to engine immediately fixed everything. if not that, i agree with spaz, finish cking complete starter drive system, means pulling clutch hub.
Thanks i will check into the ground i took it out the drags tonight ran great. I was out there for 4 hours only did it once. i post after i check ground tomorrow or Monday. Also do you think its possible it could of jumped a tooth on the timing chain. When i sprayed on the dyno.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check the ground wires looked good and clean. It did it to me again today. I wonder if maybe the starter is crapping out. Should i just replace it i don't know what to at this point lol. pulling my hair out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts