Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran him twice and both times it wasn't even close, first I went from 3rd and he jumped me good, then I went from 2nd ( both around 60mph) and it was even worse, the bike felt like it was going to come up in second, maybe it's just in my head. Would I stock geared 2nd gen lift the front tire in second going flat out? I know it does it in 1st, I usually don't even mess in first, after 8k it just gets harry. I talked to him afterwords and I had nothing really to say, I know both of us should be close, he has a pipe and pc3, mine is all stock, but I really don't need anymore power, have to get used to it stock. Don't really want to do any runs on the hw for safety reasons, and track isn't open.

Sorry guys just venting, love my zx10r, just not too happy about losing a race, when I know it should've been close.

·
Registered
606 Posts
At that gear and speed he's gonna beat you ALL day. Get it in your powerband and pin that throttle, or "Ride the shit out of it"!!! Your probably a little scared of it also, correct????

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Not saying your bike is faster but it seems like your riding experience played a part in this...your still getting use to ur bike so i'm positive your not using all the power in your bike efficiently ....practice practice practice...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Theres no way your gonna beat anyone roll racing if your leaving @ 60 mph in third gear. With my stock gearing on my First Gen i'll pin the throttle all day long from a 80 mph roll in second, and usally go from first @ 60 mph without it wheeling too much. my bike is light somewhere around 410 lbs and i only weigh 145. sometimes it pulls the front tire but you just have to get used to. i had to get used to being on one wheel or i would have never felt comfortable pinning the throttle in a low gear at low speeds, just my opinion. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
635 Posts
You just need to get some seat time in and learn how to float the front tire. At 60mph you should be leaving in 1st and coming out real fucking hard and going into 2nd real quick like. He's jumping out on you cause he's starting out in the right gear. Can you launch the bike from a dig? If not practice that too and run him from a dig. You should have no problem putting tha gixxer in your rearview mirror.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If both bikes have the same basic mods (exhaust,gearing, pcIII) and the rider weight is close, it will be a tight race at the end. He is going to pull you in a 3rd gear roll but speeds should even out by the top of 4th. You should be able to pull even by the top of 5th and 6th gear will be neck and neck. Granted, all of this depends on the rider skill to extract every ounce of performance from the bike. Those GSXR 1000's have great bottom end and midrange power. I have raced my buddy on a 2006 1k more times than I can count and he always pull me from the hit and I don't catch him until 5th gear. Our bikes both have full exhaust, pcIII, bmc race filter and dyno tuned with rider weights being close. It's always a tight race. Just my 2 cents and experience.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My '03 gixxer pulls harder down low, but my gen 3 has the better top end. I have noticed though that my gen 3 is deceptively fast because it's just an overall better bike. I have to wrestle more with the gixxer when it's being pushed hard so it feels like it's pulling harder...when a lot of that is just me trying to keep it on the road.

As said, it's mostly about gear selection how you're riding it.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
My 07 will loft the front wheel in 3rd gear at times...did it one time around 80-90 mph and wasn't sure what was going on until I set it down, it was a rather linear "lift." Actually I think it was lower rpm but not sure. Kinda funny I wasn't trying to but when I do try, it don't happen.:dontknow:

2nd gens aren't slow either, dont fall into that crap.

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You just need to get some seat time in and learn how to float the front tire. At 60mph you should be leaving in 1st and coming out real fucking hard and going into 2nd real quick like. He's jumping out on you cause he's starting out in the right gear. Can you launch the bike from a dig? If not practice that too and run him from a dig. You should have no problem putting tha gixxer in your rearview mirror.
Dig is cool, i ran my buddy at the track last year and beat him every time, but i had my cbr 929 and he had an 08 gsxr 600, and i would always get him out of the hole, but zx10 is a beast comparing to my cbr.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Take some time and get used to the bike. If your not comfortable at high RPM in low gears, just give it some time. Don't push too hard, too fast. A wadded up bike is the slowest of them all :thumbsup:

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
yes i deff wouldnt say the 2nd gens are slow. I just got back from a ride with my buddy and was passin a car on a road pinned it in 3rd and at 125 felt the front tire lift off the ground, hell ive had mine wheelie in 5th at 139 after a quick shift. best thing to do is change ur gearin -1,+2 and itll deff wake it up on low side

·
Registered
87 Posts
hellboytt it does take some time to get use to it. I ride a first gen and bought it in october of 2010, and Tuesday was the first time i did a 70 mph roll in first. ya gotta learn to turn the wrist SLOWWLLLYYY!

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes i deff wouldnt say the 2nd gens are slow. I just got back from a ride with my buddy and was passin a car on a road pinned it in 3rd and at 125 felt the front tire lift off the ground, hell ive had mine wheelie in 5th at 139 after a quick shift. best thing to do is change ur gearin -1,+2 and itll deff wake it up on low side
it's got more pep than i know what to do with as is lol, just going to take baby steps

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hellboytt it does take some time to get use to it. I ride a first gen and bought it in october of 2010, and Tuesday was the first time i did a 70 mph roll in first. ya gotta learn to turn the wrist SLOWWLLLYYY!
it wants to lift once it hits around 8.5k rpm, i think i am going to drop her an inch or 2 and see how it does, going to pull the clutch and soak it in oil for few hours

·
Registered
994 Posts
it wants to lift once it hits around 8.5k rpm, i think i am going to drop her an inch or 2 and see how it does, going to pull the clutch and soak it in oil for few hours
I wouldnt get crazy and do all that right away. I would first try a longer chain to stretch out the wheelbase a little. Then I would drop her an inch, you dont want her too low unless all you do is roll on races and parking lot pimpin.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Dont the gen 2's have the best midrange of all the 10's

1 - 20 of 65 Posts