Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after I put on my starter cover back on due to a crack and the oil leaking, the oil glass showed about a little less than half full while the bike is straight, so there was some oil in there and I started the bike to see if there is any leaks.

Thank god no leak, now have to put fairing on tonight, didnt have time had to go to work.

Then I started thinking is that bad, didnt run the bike for more than a minute though in the garage.

So now my other question is should the oil glass thing be full when I check for oil on the bike when the bike is standing straight up

sorry guys Im a fucking noob/boob but I figured Id rather do the work and the oil changes my self, how am I going to learn if I dont do it myself

one more question and than you all can beat me

I got champs sliders, do I need to take the fairings off to install them

:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
your oil sight glass should have two marks on the right side of it and the oil level should be somewhere in the middle of those lines... when the bike is level and straight up off the side stand.. not sure bout the sliders

·
Registered
609 Posts
If the oil is half way up the glass when the bike is level, you are fine.

When I put champs sliders on I only loosened the plastics.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your oil sight glass should have two marks on the right side of it and the oil level should be somewhere in the middle of those lines... when the bike is level and straight up off the side stand.. not sure bout the sliders
thanks bro, I will chekc later, just checked with champ industries and I will have to take the farings off, but no big deal not too hard now that I have taken them once

so the 10w40 castrol oil that most on here use synthetic is the same as the oil that is put in to the cars, I can get it at local car store

or is it a motorcycle 10w40 oil

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thx bro good post, I apprecieate that help

·
Registered
474 Posts
thanks bro, I will chekc later, just checked with champ industries and I will have to take the farings off, but no big deal not too hard now that I have taken them once

so the 10w40 castrol oil that most on here use synthetic is the same as the oil that is put in to the cars, I can get it at local car store

or is it a motorcycle 10w40 oil
You don't run automotive oil in motorcycles for quite a few reasons :

Motorcycles tend to operate at engine speeds significantly higher than automobiles. This places additional stress on engine components,increasing the need for wear protection. It also subjects lubricating oils to higher loading and shear forces. Elevated operating RPMs also promote foaming,which can reduce an oil's load-carrying ability and accelerate oxidation.
In automotive applications, engine oils are required to lubricate only the engine. Other automotive assemblies,such as transmissions,have separate fluid reservoirs that contain a lubricant designed specifically for that component. The requirements of that fluid differ significantly from those of automotive engine oil. Motorcycles have a common sump supplying oil to both the engine and transmission. In such cases, the oil is required to meet the needs of the engine,transmission gears and a wet clutch.
Oil is your engines life blood.This is not the place to be trying to save a few dollars.Buy the best oil designed for motorcycle engines,shop and get it for the best price.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks man

lesson learned and in my mind stampe, thank you sir

so not the same oil, good deal not really worried about the price, I want my baby healthy and good to go.

Looks like its between castorl or amsol 10w40 synthetic, its what a lot of people on here are using from what I see

thanks guys

·
Banned
480 Posts
Honda makes a synthetic motorcycle oil try it out.. its great. Finally a company creating oil just for motorcycles.

·
Registered
794 Posts
AS people have said as long as the oil was half way up the glass u shuold be fine even if it was low you only ran it for a few minutes i dont thiink it even had time to get hot.....i think your fine just go check for the lines on the glass...............

·
Registered
132 Posts
thats weird, you should ask them about it. its what ive used ever since i had one bad incident with other oil. its not cheap, like 12 bucks a quart but it works well.

someone once told me that i could use car oil in my zx6r, so i did, then when the clutch wouldnt fully disengage and the bike would creep at lights and jump forward while starting it up i decided they were wrong and talked to my dealer about it.

hell, the kawi oil is even green:lol:

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
how am I going to learn if I dont do it myself
having that kind of mentality is half the battle.:thumbsup: everything else will fall in place when you do a little research. this site has a wealth of info and how-to's on almost every aspect of these bikes. :eek:ccasion1

:+1: & :+2: not sure if they fixed the hosting issue yet but you can download a copy of the service manual for your bike on here as well. it looks like the gen 2 manual is available for your downloading pleasure. goodluck

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59403

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys for all the info

just changed the oil on it, put repsol 10w40 full synthetic, the bike feels lighter and rides smoother

thanks for all the info on here, you guys rock, I cleaned the chain too, than lubed the chain and boy she runs like a dream

thanks guys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts