Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so if you put in a race filter you get a few hp gain but can someone explain this ram air, i saw a ad for a 10r and it said 162bhp without ram air, hows it work

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Moved to performance & tech...

·
talker of shite
7,285 Posts
That gaping "mouth" above the headlights is the air intake, when riding at speed the air is forced into this intake at ever increasing pressure, this in turn creates a turbo effect by forcing more fuel/air into the combustion chamber:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There was a test several years ago of all of the major brands and their ram air intakes. Kawi got the best reveiws and for the most part their ram air system is one of the only ones that does a great job of forcing air into the intakes.

I used to have some much fun with it on my 636, most 600 might hang some until about 100, then the Kawi ram air kicked in and started working and then the bike would just pull away from them like they let off.

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
sneaky said:
There was a test several years ago of all of the major brands and their ram air intakes. Kawi got the best reveiws and for the most part their ram air system is one of the only ones that does a great job of forcing air into the intakes.

That was from Sport Rider. Here is a link:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9910_ram/index.html

I'd like to see a new test. That was from 97 or 98 I think...

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just to add to the above. Kawasaki builds turbine engines for some helicopters like the BK117 (the K is for kawi and the B for bolkow, a German helicopter company) which is used by life support teams. They DID design the 10R nose using technolodies from their turbine experience. The 10 ram system works more efficiently at speeds above 100 mph. The shape of the plastic nose intake has a LOT to do with the air going smoothly and quickly into the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts