Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just bought a 2000 zx9r its got about 40000 k on it and i want to change it to a streetfighter but when i take the ram air off and take it for a ride a can only get to about 4 th wide open then it starts to bog ...is it because of the ram air isent on and needs more air ?

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Wrong thread, should really be elsewhere ... but you've buggered up the ram air. See those carb float bowl vent hoses leading into the ram air system? Those need to be exposed to the same airflow (pressure) that the airbox intake is getting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry im new to this what forum should i be in ..i dont no to much about bikes...and i got the bike a lil banged up so it had to ram air on it but im told that might be the problem..but i see zx9r changed into streetfighters all the time and they dont seem to have this problem

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
OK, now this thread is where it should be.

You have to address the ram air system. The carb float bowls need to "see" the same pressure that the airbox is getting fed from the front of the bike. If you have taken the ram air ducts off, what did you do with the hoses from the carb float bowls?

If you don't know which way to turn a wrench, it's probably best to leave all carb and ram air and vent hoses 100% stock - leave it alone with the ram air in place. The carbureted ram-air engines are fussy-finicky about how the ram air is hooked up and how the carbs are jetted. Get it wrong, and the engine runs like crap, as you've found out!

Yes, you can streetfighter these bikes. I know of a ZX7R (same thing) that has been streetfightered - friend of mine has one. But, he paid attention to the carb float bowl vents to ensure that they still see intake air pressure - even though it's not coming from the ram air ducts any more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k soo i think i found the answer to my problem i found a guy on youtube that shows you how to modify the stock air box and he says it will fix the problem ..take a look at the video let me no what u think.....

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
That looks about right - the float bowls are vented to the same place where the air is coming in - same idea as stock. Give it a go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
soo i tryed it and drilled the holes in the wrong spot soo now its spotters in mid revs but not in the highs anymore ..soo i redrilled the holes put it all back but to its dark to ride let u no the out come twm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok over the winter iv tryed diferent mods and i thought i got it but now it has a power surge and it bobs when i open her up around 4-5 rpms and sugestions ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts