Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to raise the fork tubes (lower the front)? I did this on my dirt bike and had the front wheel off the ground. I don't have a front stand for my 10R yet. It must be hard to get into the bolts with the fairing there. Also, wondering what the torque specs are for the bolts. If you lowered the front of your 10R....throw me a clue. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
i have done so along with a few others here but i do have a pitbull front end stand to aid my cause. :badteeth:

It would be best to have such a stand but not absolutely necessary to get the desired results, anyway once you find a way to support the frontend gaining access to the bottom triple clamp bolts is a bit of a pain but not impossible.
As a suggestion start by raising the tubes 5mm (including cap)and give it a test ride on a road you travel frequently to assess the diff and if thats not enough then adjust further (perhaps 3+mm more or 8mm total including the cap)

upper triple bolts Tq=14.5ft-lbs
lower triple bolts Tq=22ft-lbs
handlebar/clip-on bolt Tq=18ft-lbs

·
Registered
945 Posts
i did a how to for eric a user on this site sometime back cant find the thread, yes you will need a front stand

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
First, separate the clip-ons from the fork crown, then lower the clip-ons the desired amount. For example, if you want to lower the front or raise the fork tubes 3mm, then lower the clip-ons until there is a 3mm gap between the clip-ons and the bottom of the fork crown. Re-tighten the clip-on clamps. Then loosen the upper and lower fork tube pinch bolts and the front end will only drop to the clip-ons. Or, in our example, 3mm. Re-tighten everything.

By doing it this way, you can do it without a front stand that supports under the fork crown. But it is still easier with the proper stand.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
There is a jack point on the bottom of the stock headpipe. You can raise the front of the bike there if you have a swing arm stand for the rear.

You can get the same result by raising the rear. There is a washer on the top shock mounting bolt. Adding another will raise it about 3 mm at the shock which amounts to around 9 mm at the wheel.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
u just need rear stand and a trolley jack for lifting the front (trolley jack under your header pipes) :hello:

oh and i hope u have a damper as u will make the bike a bit more slap happy(tank slappers)

·
Registered
900 Posts
zeta xray said:
First, separate the clip-ons from the fork crown, then lower the clip-ons the desired amount. For example, if you want to lower the front or raise the fork tubes 3mm, then lower the clip-ons until there is a 3mm gap between the clip-ons and the bottom of the fork crown. Re-tighten the clip-on clamps. Then loosen the upper and lower fork tube pinch bolts and the front end will only drop to the clip-ons. Or, in our example, 3mm. Re-tighten everything.

By doing it this way, you can do it without a front stand that supports under the fork crown. But it is still easier with the proper stand.
:+1: If you don't have a stand this is the best way to go about it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch guys. :thumbsup: Just got the PPs so might drop the front a bit. Probably start with just a 3MM drop.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raised the forks last night. Put the bike on the rear stand and put a floor jack under the jack point on the headers. Lifted it real slow and front end came off the ground. Loosened everything and raised the tubes to 5MM including cap. Tighten everything back up...too easy. Once I get the PPs mounted up, I will give a report. Thanks again ya'll.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts