Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

radiator

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  medicbaldwin 
#1 ·
Probably not the best place to put this thread, but it is drag race specific. I have a Woolsey sidewinder exhaust and my OE radiator won't clear. Looking for either an alternate radiator from another bike that will fit or a used grudge style rad for my gen 3.

#3 ·
Yeah, top to bottom is too long. Was looking for a better alternative than hacking my rad apart

#4 · (Edited)
...not many better options. You could build one from scratch, but it's a PITA to find curved cores.... a junkyard/ebay radiator that you modify would probably be cheaper in the long run. Can you just kick out the bottom of the radiator a bit and use a longer support brackets? I've done that once or twice to fit things that really don't belong behind radiators.....

#7 ·
Think I’ll mock something up to see what I can fit in there for cooling.
Hopefully I can find a rad from a different bike that is shorter and will fit

#8 ·
I've found a radiator that I think will suit my needs. Looks like a Gen2 busa rad will work, as long as it fits width wise. I appears to be about 3/4" shorter than my minimum distance measured.
Hoping to get feedback from a radiator company on ebay.
Should anybody have a gen2 busa rad available to grab some measurements I'd sure appreciate it. I mainly need overall width and height of the rad itself, not so much with mounting tabs.
Thanks-

#9 ·
Terry Mcintosh shortened my Gen3 radiator several years back. Maintained factory fan and coolant hose inlets/outlets. Never had a problem with exhaust clearance, but my front end is pretty much as low as you can go plus offset triple trees and the tire clears no problem now.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info. I’ll reach out to a few people/places and get quotes for the work

#11 ·
Think I found a solution without cutting up my radiator.
I’m sure there’s some level of blasphemy going on here, but, it looks like a radiator from a cbr954 or a blackbird xx will work perfectly.
Inlet/outlet look to be in the right place and measurements, according to the Internet, seem to be exactly what I want.

#12 ·
Pulled the trigger and bought a radiator. Hoping it'll fit and do the job. Looks to be exactly what I want, but it's for CBR 954. Hope Honda parts work on a Kawi. In all fairness it's from a Chinese ebay company so not "technically" a Honda part.

#13 ·
Well. thanks to mother nature, old man winter and snowmageddan'19 my radiator is 2 days delayed. Guess I wait till Friday to see if it fits

#15 ·
Little elbow grease and determination and got the exhaust mocked up and radiator mounted.
Should anybody else go with a sidewinder and you have Interference with the radiator, a stock rad from a Honda cbr 954 fits like a glove.
Hope I don’t have to go to a 50 shot for running honda parts

Attachments

Reactions: SpazOnaZX
#19 ·
turns out it's just a touch wider than advertised and measure by the nice man in china. It showed up about an inch wider than what I was told. I need to try and center it up and hope it doesn't bow the fairing too much to clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.