Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radiator fan is pushed against my radiator and is therefore not spinning and cooling. What's the best way to fix this? Do I need to pull the radiator forward or pull the radiator fan and bracket backward to separate them? I'm sure the fan motor is burned out so I'll probably need to replace that as well.
This happened after I wrecked the bike. Just don't know how to fix the problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd be taking the radiator off to inspect it.

If it was a front end crash then it could be bent.

Have you checked the bike over properly? Fork straightness for example.

I'm just assuming a front end crash as you didn't say, but if you haven't done so already, you need to strip the front and inspect for damage.

The bracket for the fan on the back of the rad may be bent but you'll not know unless you check it all out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2013 Non-ABS. Forks are solid, seals aren't leaking. With the exception of a few scratches and no exhaust can (everything from the cat forward was undamaged), everything else has been replaced since the wreck. I noticed the over heating issue a few months back, but just noticed the radiator and fan touching. I can fit my hand in the fairings and put enough force on the fan bracket to pull it away and fan will spin freely. But without the force of me pulling it away, the fan won't move on it's own. I believe the radiator was pushed backward but isn't cracked and still holds fluid/pressure. I'm thinking the best way is to use just enough force to pull that fan bracket away so that it will spin freely. But then about the fan motor...?

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Have to pull radiator; have to see how it's engineered to stay. Possible new radiator needed but you won't know anything until it is out and look at what you have. Hope for a bent stay.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
It's a 2013 Non-ABS. Forks are solid, seals aren't leaking. With the exception of a few scratches and no exhaust can (everything from the cat forward was undamaged), everything else has been replaced since the wreck. I noticed the over heating issue a few months back, but just noticed the radiator and fan touching. I can fit my hand in the fairings and put enough force on the fan bracket to pull it away and fan will spin freely. But without the force of me pulling it away, the fan won't move on it's own. I believe the radiator was pushed backward but isn't cracked and still holds fluid/pressure. I'm thinking the best way is to use just enough force to pull that fan bracket away so that it will spin freely. But then about the fan motor...?
Put a couple washers in there to space it out farther from the rad. Then if too close to headers put a spacer of some sort where the rad mounts. Done. Access to the rad and fan should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is fairly easy to get my hand in there. I think the fan motor is probably bad too, from trying to spin but not being able to. Are the fan motors pretty easy to replace?

·
Registered
578 Posts
had this happen on the zx6r 636 race bike, stone got lodged in the fan, rad area preventing the fan from spinning. when this happened, it fried the fan motor. pull fairings, remove lower mount for rad, remove fan motor, bracket assy, and replace with new/used. you can put 12volts to the fan, and test it to see if it works. bought one from ebay, tested bad. :( buyer beware. Ski

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. I got the fan pulled away from the rad. Much easier than I thought. Just unbolted the bottom bracket mount, adjusted, bolted it back on. Fan still doesn't spin so it's definitely the fan motor.
you can't replace the fan motor by itself can you? It's all one piece?

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I got the fan pulled away from the rad. Much easier than I thought. Just unbolted the bottom bracket mount, adjusted, bolted it back on. Fan still doesn't spin so it's definitely the fan motor.
you can't replace the fan motor by itself can you? It's all one piece?
The bottom bracket was bent? For fan I would look at kawa parts to see how it's listed. Possible entire unit has to be replaced. Can't remember if 10r's have two fans or one but that might be another factor. idk. But at least your radiator is all good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts