Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was just wondering, was is the advantage of radial mounted brake calipers compared to the "regular" style mounted calipers like the older sport bikes use to have?

·
Registered
27 Posts
MotoGp theory says that moving the caliper down,to the imaginary line between front and rear wheel's axle,has good results at fork vibration caused from the brakes.
For us,radial calipers make the rotor's size upgrades,more easy.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I also always wondered what the reason and difference was.The rotor swapping makes sense BUT the position of the caliper and the vibration cause does not? But thank you trickle down technology!!!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,542 Posts
My theory on this is simply the increased rigidity in the system. On radial brakes, when the calipers clamp down and force is applied to the rotor, the caliper tries to rotate in the direction of the wheel and disk but is held in place by the bolts. Because the bolts holding the caliper are in-line with this rotation and much closer to the centerline of the caliper, you get much less flex in the system. This results in creating better feel and more power.

On a non-radial mounted system, the bolts and calipers flex slightly under the enormous forces generated because the mounting point is farther from the caliper and force has a greater moment arm to work with. The force on the calipers is actually trying to shear the mounting bolts off when the brakes are applied. This tiny amount of flex in the system causes the power of the brakes and the feel of them to be less than the radial mount equivalent. Also, the bolts and support brackets need to be heavier to resist this shearing force. Heavier bolts and brackets mean increased un-sprung weight on the forks.

Again, I'm speculating here.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol okay, so i guess i wasnt the only one with this question haha.

Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts