Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading the article in Sport Rider (correct me if Im wrong) about transforming an 08 250 for a track/race bike. Kinda blew me away. Man, less than 6 grand and you have new race bike, fully capable of competing.

Anyone else race the 250? I have thought about getting into a little WERA action or whatever else. This seems like the perfect way to get into it on the cheap and BTW having a great time at it.

Is there an advantage to running the new 250 vs the older model?

TNX :thumbsup:

·
Registered
643 Posts
no one else has responded but i beleive the new model has 17inch rims so quality race rubber will be much easier to come by

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that was one of the good points of the new gen. The bike that they put together and raced in the article was pretty cool. They did the tire swap and suspension upgrades and changed out the plastics.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I am almost positive the new 250 makes more horsepower (what little it has) than the previous gen. I read that same article, makes me want to tear the wife's 08 apart and get it race ready!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
yeah racing those things would be fun as hell , teach ya how to carry alot of corner speed, and plus with those bikes you can get away with using the same tires for quite a few races so that will save some money for sure, yeah if i had the money i think id race the 250 over any others unless i was rich LOL !!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I read that article too, it was pretty cool.

I'd like to get into 250 racing as well, just wish I had a few extra grand to spend on one right now.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are some valid points. The new gen does make a pinch more juice. They re-jetted the carbs and put the exhaust on there. Plus, like ya said.....cheap racing and you can really concentrate on flowing the bike around the course. Hmmm, if the economy creeps back and I can float the jack on this, I think I might.

Plus for a 250 that bike looks sweet!!!!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
The SV650 is a good alternative, and can be found for real cheap.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I want to get my ZX6RR on the track one of these days but, do not want to destroy it in the process. Besides, I would rather do a few track days on a lower powered bike like a 250. I did a search and found a place that rents them for select WERA events in the Southeast. For a little over the price of a set of tires, these guys supply a race ready 2009 Ninja 250R to run on the track.

http://rentmyninja.com/

Here's a link for anyone living on the West Coast
http://www.racebikerentals.com/index.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts