Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Kawasaki has a Racing Intake Cam for the new bike. I'm thinking about having it installed before re-flashing and tuning.

Can anyone in California tell me how good this Racing Cam is? I'm still waiting to hear from the Kawasaki Rep via my salesman.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
So, Kawasaki has a Racing Intake Cam for the new bike. I'm thinking about having it installed before re-flashing and tuning.

Can anyone in California tell me how good this Racing Cam is? I'm still waiting to hear from the Kawasaki Rep via my salesman.
you'll need to get the info for duration and lift for both the intake and exhaust cams before anyone can tell you anything mention full looking at that picture tell us nothing

·
Registered
221 Posts
If the factory sells it as racing. It can't possibly hurt to install it. You may see a drop in low end as track bikes don't see too much low end use. It probably also pushes the bike out of the federal emissions requirement so they can't just sell it in the bike. Haha

·
Registered
248 Posts
AI also called kawi and they don't have any idea about when the exhaust cam will be available yet. There won't be much pointing putting in just the Intake cam getting it tuned for the cam then doing the whole process over again once the exhaust cam is available. Un less you just want to blow money on tunes and mechanic fees. They will pretty much charge the same whether they are changing out one or both, because the most work is involved just getting to them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Reckon that would actually be detrimental to performance on a Road based bike.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
The kit cam is part number 49118-0728

The only advantage it has over stock is .2mm more lift or .0078" which is not much at all. They both have a 301* Duration on the intake.

You might be better spending your money else where unless your going to bump the compression or do any other headwork?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Gen5 stock cams are the Gen4 kit cams, so i dont know where they will have gone with a Gen5 kit cam thats for sure:confused:
Where are you getting that info that the GEN 5 Accessory Intake Cam is the same as the GEN 4? The 2016 don't even have the same cams as the 2011-2015. All the internal components of the engine have been changed.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Where are you getting that info that the GEN 5 Accessory Intake Cam is the same as the GEN 4? The 2016 don't even have the same cams as the 2011-2015. All the internal components of the engine have been changed.
The Gen4 kit cams are just about the same spec as the Gen5 cams the only difference is the kit cam for the Gen4 has that .2mm more lift.

It looks like they bumped the duration on both cams to match the gen4 race cams but left the intake .2mm smaller lift.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I got that from the Woolich racing man here they'v been working on development for a while.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Ill buy the stock '16 cams for my gen 4 if you please?

You could do that, the added duration will help the bike out, the lift of the race cam is minimal so I'd put some Gen5 cams in a Gen4 if you cant find any race cams. I think they are about $300 a pop though MSRP

·
Registered
131 Posts
Aside from the pain in the ass of installing the cam, it's recommended you upgrade valve springs at the same time to remedy possible float/coil bind issues. Upgrading to a stiffer more capable spring requires replacement of said springs more often. Unless you want to do springs every 10k, it's probably better to look for power elsewhere.

·
Registered
131 Posts
210HP superbike engines also come apart often and have little to no expectation of reliability.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
For info:
The Intake valve is the same from 2011-2016
The Exhaust valve is new for 2016

The Intake and Exhaust valve springs are new for 2016

I cant seem to find a race kit manual for the 2016's yet so I dont know if they will offer any kit springs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts