Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm contemplating picking up some racing clip ons. Nothing crazy expensive, more along the lines of Graves, Vortex etc. I may even experiment on some cheap Chinese eBay knock offs. Now I don't race or track ride at the moment but it's in my plan for the future. I also have heated grips installed on my OEM clip ons and the grips are glued onto them and for summer or track use I'd like a different set of bars. I definitely do not want riser bars.

I've noticed that many racing clip ons come with the same 7 degree angle so I'd go that route. However, I've looked at the OEM clip ons and the bars intersect with the fork tubes. In other words, they align in such a way that the bars point towards the fork tubes.

On the other hand, racing clips ons with replaceable bars mount on the outside of the fork clamp. That makes me think that they would mount in a more forward position or possibly that they could be angled backwards to locate the grip in the same location relative to the fork tubes but with a more swept back angle.

For those of you guys running racing clip ons, did they change your position for the better? Worse? More comfortable? Less comfortable?

I spend a lot of my time commuting on my bike so I'd appreciate your feedback before I go and buy something that negatively affects my commuting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I run Apex Mfg GP clip-ons because they don't alter the geometry quite as much as others, eliminating a lot of the problems with interference with fairings and such. Added benefit is they are adjustable for angle by rotating the bar in the clamp.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2021 ZX10R Street & 2016 ZX10R KRT Race build
3,744 Posts
yeap...most standard clip ons will have you reaching further forward.

Im use to it now (11 years) but I do want to try some of the new race clip ons that keep the original factory position.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pass the cheapo Chinese stuff because a proper set of clip ons will not cost you a huge deal more.

If it is only for track use, the angle helps with tucking in further. So you shouldn't be worried about the angle.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All great feedback. Thanks fellas. Those Apex clip ons look awesome. They're bumped to the top of the list.

·
Registered
94 Posts
More forward, which helps with body movement in relation to bike with after market rear sets and also, wider between the hands which also helps with control.

Still undecided myself, not wanting forward reach but wouldn't mind the wider set of my hands on the bars.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I have the woodcraft and love them! I have the set with no rise and I want to swap them to the set with 1inch rise. I also have aftermarket bump stops.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the woodcraft and love them! I have the set with no rise and I want to swap them to the set with 1inch rise. I also have aftermarket bump stops.
1 inch rise might be the way I go myself. Winter for that though and many, many, other things ))

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
I also have Apex, got for the same reason posted above, they come to a position similar to OEM.
They are also adjustable for angle, both up and down, and back and forth.

Aftermarket clip ons also have the benefit of being slightly longer than OEM which improves leverage.

One thing to keep in mind with the ones that mount farther forward is that at full lock they might hit the fairings.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2021 ZX10R Street & 2016 ZX10R KRT Race build
3,744 Posts
I run Apex Mfg GP clip-ons because they don't alter the geometry quite as much as others, eliminating a lot of the problems with interference with fairings and such. Added benefit is they are adjustable for angle by rotating the bar in the clamp.

ended up just getting a set of these.

Reactions: CanyonCarver
1 - 10 of 10 Posts