Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Kawi Racing Camshafts

• I do have a Race Intake Cam installed in my 10R

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • I do have both Intake & Exhaust Race Cams

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • I´m eager to get a Race Intake Cam (if available again!!)

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Kawi Race cams are crap and wouldn´t buy one

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Race cams ain´t necessary since the 10R is fast enough in stock form

Votes: 14 18.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
I didn't see the option that applies to me.

[ ] I have a race Intake cam, just not yet installed it.

FWIW the 04-07 stock Intake cam lifts 9.1MM. The race INTAKE cam lifts 9.7MM, or .6MM more.

Care to guess what the lift is on the 08 Stock intake? Why 9.7MM.

The duration is actually a few degrees more on the 04-07 Race Intake than the 08 stock intake.

Me thinks Kawi got the 08 power up by the same methods Gen 1 and Gen 2 people have used. Slight increase in compression from 12.7 to 12.9 (we use thinner head gasket and I have no idea how Kawi uped the compression on the 08) and more lift on Intake cam.

JJ

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
so by happenstance my guess was somewhat accurate with regard to the race IN cams specs being like the 08??

BD
Yep er, dead on on the lift. The durations is slightly less on the 08.

They are not the same cams. Heard of OVAL throttle bodies and OVAL intake boots for the 08? Me thinks this was an attempt to narrow the engine more because the 08 cams also have narrower lobes. Kinda fits.

So the cams for Gen1/2 will not be the same as 08.

04-07 RACE Intake specs 9.7MM @ 310 degress

08 Stock Intake specs 9.7MM @ 292 degress

I have the exhaust specs but who cares.

JJ

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I didn't see the option that applies to me.

[ ] I have a race Intake cam, just not yet installed it.

FWIW the 04-07 stock Intake cam lifts 9.1MM. The race INTAKE cam lifts 9.7MM, or .6MM more.

Care to guess what the lift is on the 08 Stock intake? Why 9.7MM.

The duration is actually a few degrees more on the 04-07 Race Intake than the 08 stock intake.

Me thinks Kawi got the 08 power up by the same methods Gen 1 and Gen 2 people have used. Slight increase in compression from 12.7 to 12.9 (we use thinner head gasket and I have no idea how Kawi uped the compression on the 08) and more lift on Intake cam.

JJ

From what I understand Compression was increased by the redesigned cylinder head. But that's what I've gathered.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah those oval throttlbe bodies are the shit, you gain a ton more area for air to come in at and the dual injectors help SOOO much at higher rpms for atomization.... that valve opens and closes over 140-150 times per second at peak rpm!!!!

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
yeah those oval throttlbe bodies are the shit, you gain a ton more area for air to come in at and the dual injectors help SOOO much at higher rpms for atomization.... that valve opens and closes over 140-150 times per second at peak rpm!!!!
We will have to agree to disagree on the advantages to oval ports. I say it is to narrow the engine, not performance. This is because Kawasaki has used oval ports and oval carburetors many times in the past. Its not like new technology they just discovered. They could have done it on the 04-05 mdoel but did not.

JJ

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah the 600's have had those oval TB's for a while now, but if you look at them they are the same openeing as ours but jus oval so more available space to get in there???

never the less, I got dibs on the first set that come up on ebay!!! lol..... I actually just want the air box set up with dual injectors.... I have been trying to get a set up going on my bike but havent had the time/money.... I know there are big advantages of dual injectors.....

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
To me if your just a street rider it is not necessarily how much power you motor makes, but where the power comes on the strongest.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
To me if your just a street rider it is not necessarily how much power you motor makes, but where the power comes on the strongest.
:+1: yea true. but sometimes the basic ride isnt enough for the motorcycle enthusiast. thats what i love about this forum. its a library of knowledge for me. such as the discussion above.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kawi Japan/USA Parts Department: put the Int. cam back on the dealers shelfs again. Many people wants them! :heyyou:

My conclusion is that they don´t want any more 04-07 10Rs to be faster than the brand new 08 :lol:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
damn kawi needs to make up their mind!!!!!!

I wonder if since the 08's have the same lift but a lil less duration if the less duration for some reason makes better power or I wonder what kinda cams if any they will have available for the 08's

Ronayers says they are back to!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven´t seen better power from a 08 than any 04-07 does so far. I´m not saying it won´t do, but all bikes are in the break-in period. Lets wait and see what the 08 has to give after break-in has trully ended

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I first bought my bike I had Chris @ Performance Psycles tune her and with a slip-on, power commander, & K&N I made 158.3 RWHP. After the Race intake cam & .050 head gasket was installed and cams degreed to 107/103.5 I made 162.7 rwhp. At that time I was informed that the stock header w/ valve was holding back a few more hp and that I should think about a full system to get the most out of what I had. Well the Ebay gods smiled upon me and I bought a Full SS Muzzy system for 450.00 shipped. The system is on and without being tuned this bike is a handfull in the first 3 gears. As soon as it warms up I will be back at Chris's shop for a retune and will post my dyno sheet for proof.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yep er, dead on on the lift. The durations is slightly less on the 08.

They are not the same cams. Heard of OVAL throttle bodies and OVAL intake boots for the 08? Me thinks this was an attempt to narrow the engine more because the 08 cams also have narrower lobes. Kinda fits.

So the cams for Gen1/2 will not be the same as 08.

04-07 RACE Intake specs 9.7MM @ 310 degress

08 Stock Intake specs 9.7MM @ 292 degress

I have the exhaust specs but who cares.

JJ

Where did you get those specs for the 08?? Not even the parts diagram are available right now!!

I will like to know the exhaust specs if you have it.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Where did you get those specs for the 08?? Not even the parts diagram are available right now!!

I will like to know the exhaust specs if you have it.
There was a Kawasaki technician that went to a seminar and he posted the 08 specs on this forum. He seemed legit to. Actually very legit. You might can find with a search, but may be hard.

I do have the 08 exhaust specs as well from the same person. I will look for them later tonight. They weren't nothing to write home about.

JJ

·
Registered
543 Posts
Not to go off topic and PLEASE correct me if Im wrong, but I heard on the '08' they welded the heads to the block. So if you had(have) an '08' it would be almost impossible to switch the cams. To me that almost makes it worth it to go get the intake cam and gasket.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not to go off topic and PLEASE correct me if Im wrong, but I heard on the '08' they welded the heads to the block. So if you had(have) an '08' it would be almost impossible to switch the cams. To me that almost makes it worth it to go get the intake cam and gasket.
Welded head to the block!!! LOL!!! :beer:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts