Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
has anyone ever followed the advice on the racetech spring calculator for there shock spring? always been curious if they are very accurate for a street bike.

http://racetech.com/VehicleSearch#genre=2&brand=&model=&year=
GMD used it to calculate my front spring rate. Since I came out at .981 I did a .975 split. I have a 1.0 on the right and a .950 on the left. I cant report as of yet how good it is because I havent been on the track yet.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Its quite close on some models but not so on others.. But I suppose its better than its online valving data:icon_confused: :lol:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
has anyone ever followed the advice on the racetech spring calculator for there shock spring? always been curious if they are very accurate for a street bike.

http://racetech.com/VehicleSearch#genre=2&brand=&model=&year=
I've used the calculator twice; on my GEN III and my GEN IV. Both times when I replaced the spring with the racetech bike had improved handling.

Right now my shock is being revalved and the spring is being tested so I will have more accurate info soon.

I know the bike handles better with the new spring thats for sure.

·
Registered
389 Posts
FWIW, their stock spring measurement has been known to have issues. From my experience its on the firm side, so biased toward track. Preference comes into this quite a bit and given that I tend to like the softest spring that is in range I factor my sag figures and real world feel before to gauge any 'recommendation'.

At the end of the day, they are in business to sell springs and parts, so take it with a grain of salt if you are not experience issues and your sags are close.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the replies. bam bam on here recommended Suspension Technoligies and i gave them a buzz. shock is heading out tomm.

$108 for just a racetech spring or $250 for the "works".....it was a no brainer

glass

·
Registered
547 Posts
At the end of the day, they are in business to sell springs and parts, so take it with a grain of salt if you are not experience issues and your sags are close.
:+1:

Got to agree with this. They and some of their dealers and others.. will upsell you to the moon if your daft enough to listen.. when in a lot of cases parts aren't needed. Buyer beware..

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Race Tech sets their spring rates a bit on the stiff side. They do this because it's better to have too stiff of a spring than too soft. And without having the rider and the bike in front of them to measure sag it's better to error on the side of caution.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
:+1:

Got to agree with this. They and their dealers and others.. will upsell you to the moon if your daft enough to listen.. when in a lot of cases parts aren't needed. Buyer beware..
I have to would have to disagree with this. Yes, SOME dealers are out there to make the $$$ and that's all that they care about. But there are a lot of dealers out there that do care about the rider and their experience.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have to would have to disagree with this. Yes, SOME dealers are out there to make the $$$ and that's all that they care about. But there are a lot of dealers out there that do care about the rider and their experience.
Born in your area. When I lived in st.louis, yes, victory lane & donaldsons in so county were it. the rest of the stealerships would let me eat a bag of d1ks before caring about my well being.

I'd say 1/5

1 - 14 of 14 Posts