Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a RACEFIT MEGA that was made for a 06 suzuki 1k(cant let a perfectly good and highly sought after exhaust go to waste). So I want to mod it to fit my 08 10r, but before I start welding,chopping and cutting. Its made of TITANIUM and Im not sure how possible it is to reconstruct that material.

So my question(s) fellow members is this; Has anyone every tried such a mod? If so how difficult was it? Should I take it to my local exhaust guy? etc..

Oh yeah, if I'm successful in this mod, then I have a carbon fiber LEO VINCE(w/boom box) for sale. Taking offers...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Titanium can be welded but it will take a welder familiar with this material and the thickness (or lack thereof) of the Racefit tubing. Glob a bunch of weld on it or blow through the tubing walls and unfortunately your Racefit won't be sought after.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You have to douse it in argon to weld it: ie-put it in a tank of argon while you weld. That is my understanding of it at least... I could be wrong.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would you use to cut it? I have an akra ti I want cut but I don't want to screw it up

My plan of course is to only cut the tubing(link pipe), to get it to adapt to the headers. The plan is to carefully use a hacksaw to cut and allow the welder to bridge the gap.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I don't think you will be able to cut the Ti very well with a hacksaw, though I could be wrong. It is a very hard metal, and if cut incorrectly and it gets hot it will become even harder.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Try a carbon cutting wheel. I used one to cut my Yoshi tri-oval and a Muzzy Carbon Fiber canister. That carbon wheel is going to be extremely strong and thin for a better line.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I made an Akra full system on my ducati out of a slip-on and a the rest of a real full system. cut the tubing off on the slip-ons with a chop saw, smoothed the cut and then took it to a exhaust shop with the part it needed to adapt to and had them expand it to fit over the rest of it. $2500 system for $800! It's hard to find a welder that welds TI because the rods are expensive and you have to use an Argon enviroment..... careful if you expand it cuz I don't know how far it will expand before it rips. I had 2 pipes with the same diameter so only one had to be expanded a bit and that's as far as my experience with it goes. good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts