Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting the racetech springs for my front forks. I called ronayers and the guy on the phone wasn't sure which ones I would need. He said if "he had to guess" that I would either need the .90 KG/MM or .95 KG/MM. I weigh around 225lbs, well not right now, but anyways I am just starting to get into track days and I mostly do hard street riding in the twisties. Have any of you guys put these in your bikes or do you have any idea on what I should get. Thanks

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The OEM springs are .925kg progressive rate so perhaps that will help some but remember full gear weighs about 15-20lbs. The RT.95kg straight rate may be the ticket.

BD

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bd, theres some rep points for ya

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Thanks.

I haven't changed the 10r springs due to them being OK for my suited weight but i did stay @ a Holiday Inn lastnight.

BTW you can also mix diff rate springs if you find yourself inbetween, i.e. 1 1.0kg spring and 1 .95kg spring to = .975kg.

BD

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Chad, when I looked up the weight for me on Traxxion's website...they recommended .95 for me at 160lbs...

Id double check that number if I was you.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
he may very well need something firmer than .95kg for 225lbs however keep in mind its not a full on race bike either so when he does take a street ride he doesn't get bounced off the seat.

The valving in the forks is the weak link not the springs so don't go overboard.

BD

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Big Daddy said:
he may very well need something firmer than .95kg for 225lbs however keep in mind its not a full on race bike either so when he does take a street ride he doesn't get bounced off the seat.

The valving in the forks is the weak link not the springs so don't go overboard.

BD
on the 04 i thought the top out springs are too tall(long?) and that they hinder full range of the forks travel...are we talking about the same springs???

·
Registered
34,537 Posts

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hillcountry10r said:
Chad, when I looked up the weight for me on Traxxion's website...they recommended .95 for me at 160lbs...

Id double check that number if I was you.

Is this the chart that you were talkin about??

Attachments

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
luckz88 said:
Is this the chart that you were talkin about??
well that would put you right about at 650lbs, so maybe .95 would work for you too!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I weigh 205 full suit and have the ohlins 10.0 springs. They seem very stiff pushing on it but on the track they are perfect. With preload at 6 lines showing I can get the travel down to about 5mm from braking, in fact even with the springs being stiffer I could never get this much travel out of the stock. I guess because the stock are progressive. If you are doing track days I would go with the 10.0
FWIW ohlins does not even make 9.5 springs because they say there 9.5 is equal to stock.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
madkaw said:
I weigh 205 full suit and have the ohlins 10.0 springs. They seem very stiff pushing on it but on the track they are perfect. With preload at 6 lines showing I can get the travel down to about 5mm from braking, in fact even with the springs being stiffer I could never get this much travel out of the stock. I guess because the stock are progressive. If you are doing track days I would go with the 10.0
FWIW ohlins does not even make 9.5 springs because they say there 9.5 is equal to stock.

How much did the ohlins FWIW cost?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
swjohnsey said:
This may be a stupid suggestion but . . . why don't y'all talk to the folks at Race Tech?

The guy I talked to at race tech didn't know and I wanted to get some riders opinions instead of some guy that might just sit behind the desk and not really know from personal experience

1 - 20 of 21 Posts