Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I just received my race tech gold valve and spring kit. I have a spare set of forks so I took 1 apart and Im a bit lost, it all makes sense but Im not exactly sure what goes where and could use some help. I checked the service manual and some diagrams but nothing seems to give a good rundown on what to do. I found a how to on another forum but obviously it was a different bike and wasnt the same style of fork either. If anyone has some expertise in this subject Id greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Are you just doing the comp valves or both? The comp valves are super easy change, provided you have the tools to get to the cartridge.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you just doing the comp valves or both? The comp valves are super easy change, provided you have the tools to get to the cartridge.
I thought I was doing the compression but I just seen they sent me the rebound. Possibly where my confusion is coming from. I have no problem getting at the cartridge, theres just a lot of washers and such I dont want to put in the wrong spot.

Well it looks like I have to remove the compression valve to get at the rebound anyways so whats a good way to get the rebound valve out of there??

·
Registered
541 Posts
I thought I was doing the compression but I just seen they sent me the rebound. Possibly where my confusion is coming from. I have no problem getting at the cartridge, theres just a lot of washers and such I dont want to put in the wrong spot.

Well it looks like I have to remove the compression valve to get at the rebound anyways so whats a good way to get the rebound valve out of there??
I need to have a look at the manual.... But in general there are two ways, unscrew the top of the cartridge or remove the bottom out cone from the rebound rod then slide the whole works out the bottom. The first is best because you don't lose the bottom out and you don't run the risk of bending the rebound rod. You really need some tools like a vice with non maring jaws, lead works well for this. The pros have wrenches that fit the cutouts at the top of the cartridge, you will have to improvise this, use some heat too.
Next step is to remove the rebound valve. This one, unlike the compression valve is often has peening over the nut. I used a Dremel and a disk to shave the peening off, pretty simple from then on.
I have all the tools and I sent mine to GP Suspension lol!

Reactions: flthy1

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to have a look at the manual.... But in general there are two ways, unscrew the top of the cartridge or remove the bottom out cone from the rebound rod then slide the whole works out the bottom. The first is best because you don't lose the bottom out and you don't run the risk of bending the rebound rod. You really need some tools like a vice with non maring jaws, lead works well for this. The pros have wrenches that fit the cutouts at the top of the cartridge, you will have to improvise this, use some heat too.
Next step is to remove the rebound valve. This one, unlike the compression valve is often has peening over the nut. I used a Dremel and a disk to shave the peening off, pretty simple from then on.
I have all the tools and I sent mine to GP Suspension lol!
The manual wasnt much help. I did a bunch of searching on line and found some good info on a vfr forum.

What is a peening though? I read about that elsewhere but there were no pics to clarify. Once I got in there everything came apart just fine and it seems pretty straight forward. Just waiting on the compression valves to come in and I'll be ready to go!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
More that likely your talking about the threads on the compression stack being peened so the nut won't come off. This is done by the factory. The compression stack threads are made out of aluminum. You just file the threads flat to the surface of the nut, to remove peening. Want you don't want to do is damage the aluminum threads when you take the nut off. So loosen nut 1/4 turn. Then lightly tighten the nut back up. Now file that last bit of penned thread off. Then loosen 1/2 turn and lightly tighten back up and file again.You get the idea. Do that a couple of times till the nut turns off easily. Bevel the edge of the threads after you get the nut off. They give you a new nut for reassembly.
Use some carb cleaner and a air hose to get the compression stack spotless before you reassemble with your new valving. Then use Loctite blue to keep the nut tight....Race tech usally gives you a dvd on how to do this with there kits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts