Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking my valve clearances and it appears there were quite a few valves that were out of spec and looser than the recommended range.

In looking at the race manual it specifies that "more performance can be expected when adjusted from the middle to upper limit."

This seems a little counterintuitive to me. Wouldn't more performance be expected with the tighter tolerances in the range?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I actually wonder if they mean having a tighter clearance most likely that is what they are say.... the upper limit of having a smaller gap??? I think its worded just tricky but yeah most all set them to around the smaller side.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you have tighter clearances they will wear. It makes sense to me. If you adjust from middle to upper limit you in effect slow wear and maintain a more constant setting. Or the clearances are less likely to change and differ as the motor wears. Think about it like this if you have two moving items tight together they will "wear in". Meaning to me as they move together they will seat themselves and will find that happen medium. At the middle to upper clearance limits the valves will not wear as much. I am sure this can be sadi more technically but I think this is the basci idea behind it.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I've been checking my valve clearances and it appears there were quite a few valves that were out of spec and looser than the recommended range.

In looking at the race manual it specifies that "more performance can be expected when adjusted from the middle to upper limit."

This seems a little counterintuitive to me. Wouldn't more performance be expected with the tighter tolerances in the range?
yes it would due to using the duration & lift to its max(or there abouts) as opposed to it being shimmed on the looser side of the range.

BD

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That is strange that your valves got looser. Most of the time on bikes at least the valves get tighter. But like BD says tighter gets better power even though its really not noticable. Garth is correct they are talking about the smallest gap possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts