Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That's a good plan. At the end of the day, you can always play around with AFR's at a test n' tune just to see what's up. On an old pump gas/35 shot tune I found out some pretty neat stuff once upon a time... I had 2 maps on a switch: 13:1 WOT NA, and 12.5:1 on the small shot. Once the bottle ran out I forgot to switch the map back, but the bike still picked up a consistent .8-1.2 mph. Flip the switch back to 13:1 and it would lose it. For whatever reason, the bike liked it a little fat (could be the fuel, could be the gauge, who knows). It's not a direct comparison to your situation, but I guess the point is that you'd be surprised what you can find works for you at the strip. MPH never lies, and someone else's tune/set-up is usually never 100% what you need. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I bought some t4, drained out the old gas, dumped in a gal of fresh t4. Added more fuel to it and went to the track. Hard to say if I picked up anything or not, as I went to a different track and they don't do any prep on the starting line, so 9 out of 10 times, my 60's are horrid as i'm spinning the rear tire till about 100'. Hoping to go back to my local track this friday and see what's what.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a question for you folks out there. After putting the T4 oxygenated unleaded in my bike, it started throwing some irratic AFR readings at time then other times it would just read --. My sensor is quite old, so, I bought a new one. Got it hooked up today now it reads crazy lean. I've been changing the tune on it and adding more and more fuel, just not sure, with the oxygenated fuel if it's accurately reading the AFR?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
What 02 sensor and what controller? Quite often they have to be calibrated to one another, depending on their make/design. Also, leaded fuels are rumored to drastically shorten the life of wideband sensors... just so you know. After that, I would theorize that an oxygenated fuel would be leaner at the same injected mass, but I don't think it would be 'crazy' lean..... once you get idle or load AFR's above 16:1 on gas it will usually start to run funny. Not ha ha funny, either.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm using a dynojet wideband commander and replaced the O2 sensor it came with, with the identical bosch lsu 4.2.
I've changed my map to add more fuel since using the T4. Guess i'll just take it to the track and see what it reads.
T4 is an unleaded oxygenated fuel, so hopefully i'll still get full life from my sensor.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the Dynojet O2 set-ups.... I have one in my C14, but I really don't pay much attention to it. Is there a way to do a free air calibration on that sensor/set-up? What do your readings look like? Are they leaner across the board, or just in certain spots? How much more fuel did you have to throw at it to get the readings back to an acceptable level? Trap speed will tell the tale, for sure.... but anything in the 12:1-13.5:1 range should be plenty safe for NA/stock compression.... gotta find out what it likes with the radar. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think I added about 10% fuel from the map I was working with, which was a MR12 map. Seems a bit fat to me.
I'll have to contact dynojet to see about a free air calibration.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
10% is a good bit... but you have to burn more fuel to make more power... if it's running great with 10% more in it then it's likely making quite a bit more power. :) Trap speed will tell the tale, fo sho.

EDIT: oh, I just saw that this is over your MR12 map, not stock... that does sound a little excessive. About how much did you have to add (roughly) to get MR12 to be happy? That would make me a little suspect on the new sensor or calibration for sure.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Unfortunately, I can't calibrate the sensor with the version of WBC i'm using. The WB2 will allow you to calibrate. I haven't had a chance to get the bike back out since making the changes.
Hoping friday to make it to a tnt.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts