Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just arrived here, so be gentle...

I had a big racing accident on my superbike-spec ZX10R on the Isle of Man last year - broke both legs, and several other bones. So, no more (serious) racing for me. To keep me occupied, I'm putting all the race stuff on my road ZX10R (both are 04/05 models). The road bike already has the ohlins shock, K-Tech fork internals and Brembo master cylinder, and it's pretty damn good :)

Next thing is to put the race motor in the road bike. The engine made 194bhp when last run on Slick Bass's dyno. Slick (google him) built the motor, and knows what he's doing.

Here's the problem: the race engine really needs the race kit ECU. I could maybe use a road ECU and a Power Commander, but while that would fix the fuelling, it wouldn't adjust the ignition (or so I've been told). To run the kit ECU, you need to use the kit loom (I plugged the kit ECU into my road bike, and it span over, but wouldn't fire). But the kit loom has nothing for lights, indicators (I guess you guys say 'turn signals), horn, etc.

The only option would appear to be to splice the road stuff onto the kit loom. Which I'm sure is do-able, but I'd probably not want to do it myself.

So, what's the point of this post? Good question. I guess I'm asking if anyone has any experience in messing about with the kit loom and ECU, and whether what I'm proposing is feasible?

Thanks in advance

Champ

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Or you can splice the race-kit ECU into the road-bike wiring harness; this might be easier than re-wiring the race wiring harness since most of the functions needed for a road bike are already there and don't rely on the ECU. You'll have to compare the pin-outs of the stock and race ECU's.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Why not just run a seperate 12 volt supply to a fuse block and then each accessory with a common ground and switches on each accesory(using the factory switches). This is easy work man!! Let the kit ECU run the motor and coils.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I've just arrived here, so be gentle...

I had a big racing accident on my superbike-spec ZX10R on the Isle of Man last year - broke both legs, and several other bones. So, no more (serious) racing for me. To keep me occupied, I'm putting all the race stuff on my road ZX10R (both are 04/05 models). The road bike already has the ohlins shock, K-Tech fork internals and Brembo master cylinder, and it's pretty damn good :)

Next thing is to put the race motor in the road bike. The engine made 194bhp when last run on Slick Bass's dyno. Slick (google him) built the motor, and knows what he's doing.

Here's the problem: the race engine really needs the race kit ECU. I could maybe use a road ECU and a Power Commander, but while that would fix the fuelling, it wouldn't adjust the ignition (or so I've been told). To run the kit ECU, you need to use the kit loom (I plugged the kit ECU into my road bike, and it span over, but wouldn't fire). But the kit loom has nothing for lights, indicators (I guess you guys say 'turn signals), horn, etc.

The only option would appear to be to splice the road stuff onto the kit loom. Which I'm sure is do-able, but I'd probably not want to do it myself.

So, what's the point of this post? Good question. I guess I'm asking if anyone has any experience in messing about with the kit loom and ECU, and whether what I'm proposing is feasible?

Thanks in advance

Champ
Why not use the Ignition Module to fix that?
Am i missing something ? :welcome:

·
Registered
281 Posts
How bout I give you my 05 and ill take your and deal with all those problems

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To run the kit ECU, you need to use the kit loom (I plugged the kit ECU into my road bike, and it span over, but wouldn't fire).
More research suggest the problem is down to the built in immobilizer which is fitted to non-US bikes. The key is mapped to the ECU; you need the right key to start the bike. So I should be able to run the kit ECU on the road loom if I can figure the output that the road ECU one puts back into the loom to tell the system that the key matches...

I'll let you know how it goes...

Champ

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like you live in england. dont they have that silly radio key that works their ecu. probably won't interchange with stock harness wires and pins not in right places. I think i would keep my race box and make up a seperate light circuit. how are you going to keep them from stealing your bike? real big chain and lock? FIND SOMEBODY THAT WANTS TO RACE AND SELL THEM THE COMBO.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,342 Posts
I was told that stock ecu's can be reflashed to perform much better than stock but at a lessor performance value of a race ecu...

ORRRRRRRRR i also hear that there is a street ecu..Basically a race ecu with added harness to supply power for the signals,horn,headlights ect..A buddy of mine that a pc geek kinda fella who can ride the balls off his zx6 told me its info he discovered..I just dont have details,he is out to sea for next 6 months..

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
This is off topic but are u the guy that clipped that rock at 140.? I was just trying to fig. what crash u were and u gotta have balls to race that one so cheers for u.

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
Why not use the Ignition Module to fix that?
Am i missing something ? :welcome:
:+1:
Champ, run a power commander and a Dynojet Ignition module which is a piggyback unit to it and that would allow all the necessary adjustments to the ignition curve, as detailed as the pc does it for fueling.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was told that stock ecu's can be reflashed to perform much better than stock but at a lessor performance value of a race ecu...

ORRRRRRRRR i also hear that there is a street ecu..Basically a race ecu with added harness to supply power for the signals,horn,headlights ect..A buddy of mine that a pc geek kinda fella who can ride the balls off his zx6 told me its info he discovered..I just dont have details,he is out to sea for next 6 months..
Who you been listening to? Do some more research because I haven't heard about either of these two being correct.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
More research suggest the problem is down to the built in immobilizer which is fitted to non-US bikes. The key is mapped to the ECU; you need the right key to start the bike. So I should be able to run the kit ECU on the road loom if I can figure the output that the road ECU one puts back into the loom to tell the system that the key matches...

I'll let you know how it goes...

Champ
I would love to see what you come up with.:eek:ccasion1

·
Newfie Bullet
2,342 Posts
10rmotor....Its a buddy of mine who told me of the info..I have no idea where he got or found the info but when he gets back from his lil sea tour ill ask for more details on it and let you know..
I didnt bother researchin it cause last yr i had cancer and im financially tryin to recover from it and dont have the $$ for such toys..It was just garage chat earlier this summer after a few wobbley pops were consumed..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bro --- i run my race bike on the street with no problem --- use all your race parts --- just run new wires to the lights -- dummy the fucking turn signals -- and fuck the brake light ---

now on my bike i have a switch where i can turn the rear tail light at night --and the head light off when needed --- when turning a fast lap on the freeway at night --- problem gone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

For anyone googling, here's the answer - there's an adaptor kit which does the appropriate pin mapping to make the kit ECU work on the road loom. It's still available for the 04/05 bike, and even tho the price for (4 connectors and 50~60 short lengths of wire) is outrageous, (350 gbp) it has saved me a lot of head scratching.

If anyone out their is trying to achieve the same thing for an 04/05 ZX10R, drop me a line, and I can probably help by documenting the pin map used.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think what you need for 04-05 ninja is part # 26031-0244 it costs $42.09 at cheap cycle parts .com it is the adapter for kit ecu to std harness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think what you need for 04-05 ninja is part # 26031-0244 it costs $42.09 at cheap cycle parts .com it is the adapter for kit ecu to std harness.
You're right on the part number. I can't quite understand how cheapcycleparts.com are listing it at that price, as it's less than a 10th of the official price. Anyway, I have one now - at the official price :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts