Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

I know there are a few threads on the Kawasaki kit cams but I haven't seen one on the Kent cams used in BSB??

I'm trying to understand how the Kent cams used in BSB work because there duration is shorter and so is the overlap compared to both stock and kit kawasaki cams.

Kent cam specs:

Intake Duration is 262.00 degrees.
Exhaust Duration is 258.00 degrees.
Inlet Cam Lift 11.20
Inlet Valve Lift 11.00
Exhaust Cam Lift 9.40
Exhaust Valve Lift 9.20
Installed Intake Centerline is 110.00 degrees ATDC.
Installed Exhaust Centerline is 110.00 degrees BTDC.
LSA is 110.0 degrees
Overlap is 40.00 degrees.

Kawasaki stock cams 2011-15 specs:

Intake Duration is 296.00 degrees.
Exhaust Duration is 293.00 degrees.
Inlet Valve Lift 10.30
Exhaust Valve Lift 9.10
Installed Intake Centerline is 112.00 degrees ATDC.
Installed Exhaust Centerline is 107.50 degrees BTDC.
LSA is 109.8 degrees
Overlap is 75.00 degrees.

Kawasaki kit cams 2011-15 specs:

Intake Duration is 301.00 degrees.
Exhaust Duration is 306.00 degrees.
Inlet Valve Lift 10.50
Exhaust Valve Lift 9.10
Installed Intake Centerline is 113.00 degrees ATDC.
Installed Exhaust Centerline is 108 degrees BTDC.

Kawasaki stock cams 2016-18 specs:

Intake Duration is 301.00 degrees.
Exhaust Duration is 306.00 degrees.
Installed Intake Centerline is 105.50 degrees ATDC.
Installed Exhaust Centerline is 104.00 degrees BTDC.
LSA is 104.8 degrees
Overlap is 94.00 degrees.

FW Developments D1660:

very vague info but I've been told

Inlet more duration (greater than 301) and lift (greater than 10.50) than the Kawasaki kit cam
Exhaust less duration (less than 293), same lift as stock (9.10) Kawasaki 2011-15 cam

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
FW Developments is Frank Wrathell he is a top engine builder over here, they are sponsored by JG Speedfit, there currently winning the BSB championship with Leon Haslam as no 1 rider. As with most race organisations there are strict tolerances with parts giving a small percentage + or - against manufactures specs, so with cam shafts the teams send them to be 're ground to the outside tolerance (as large as possible) IIRC D1660 is a Kent code equating to the 2016 Kawasaki kit cam, I have a set at home and will check for you at the weekend.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
OK well I'm confused now, apart from losing a set of cams, I also can't make head or tail of Kent's coding, i will ring him on Monday and post up what's needed to under stand the codes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
OK I spoke too the man at Kent Cams, the kawa35 cams as listed by them are all stamped kaw 35 there is also a 5 number code on these example: 16123 this is made up from the year 16 the month 12 (date it was grond) the last number is the grinding machine number, they have four grinding machines this one was made on 3! That's the simple part, all the other codes you see on second hand cams such as KC (kent cams) D1563 13098 PL685 -415-1419- 745 etc and on and on are the codes given to customers who require there own specific grind, so for example FWDevelopments want certain duration at certain lift over stock, there custom profile is given a code, he wouldn't say how the code is formulated as they are bound by client confidentially which means that the code indicates whre the lift & duration etc are compared to stock. The problem we have here is if the seller won't or doesn't know what the profile is we may not get the best from the cam without shit loads of cam dialing and numerous dyno sessions. You also have to realise that the superbike cams may only be best for a few circuits ie a slower tighter course or a longer faster one, also it could be that the cam turned out to be less than expected so was sold as a failure. Something interesting though Kent have developed kaw38 for the ZX10 2011 onwards it's a more track focused cam than stock but doesn't take away from the middle range, it'll be up on there website in a few weeks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thank you Michael for good info.
Those cams are inside my brothers bike.
Now I know that I will have to read degree at next valve check, since custom grind.
And if I have more time, then read out whole profile too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts