Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to do Valve adjustments, so I might as well swap CAMS for race cams and also do the gasket.

Searches on here, suggest that I should just do intake and forget about the exhaust

some suggest that the race exhaust cam loses 6-7 hp

but that makes no sense. why would kawi make two cams if there was no gain and why would kawi make a race cam that loses hp?

also. won't using mismatched cams mess up the overlap ?

gasket recomendations ?( I can get 93 octane gas here )

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Don't forget Kawi uses both Kit Cams with the kit High Comp. Pistons as well. But yes if you are due for a valve adjustment you might as well throw in the Intake Cam. As far as the head gasket I don't like it for everyday riding but others swear by it. In past bikes I've owned when I went with a thinner head gasket I blew through them. On my CBR600RR track bike I was going through them like a V8 goes through gas. But others have had good luck with it. Talk to Garth. If you can get 93 and are one of those who swear by it get the .50. Most bang for your buck right?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Yeah def stay away from the racing exhaust, the exhaust cam is actually smaller then the stock exhaust..... I'm pretty sure they use the exhaust cam in conjunction with all the other inturnals like pistons rods and such... possibly to clear piston to valve??? possibly......

I'd go with the .45 gasket, piston to valve clearance is fine with that gasket and you can run 93 octane on it all day, my pistons are 13.5:1 and I run 93 octane and advanced timing and get no pinging......

If you want a larger exhaust cam take the stock intake and drill and tap it and run a bolt threw it for a cam position sensor and you can run the intake on the exhaust side but for stock bore/motor there werent much for gains there.......

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Garth you da man, that makes sense to me now.

do I need to drop the motor to all this ?

·
Registered
311 Posts
garth did you do the stock intake mod to fit the exhaust ? and can i advance the timing by moding somthing by the timming stator or something ??? do you know this ?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I'm sure there is some way of making an adjustable ignition rotor like what muzzy has for the zx12r but I have the ignition module from power commander to do my timing.....

I have tried the stock intake on the exhaust side and it did minimal gains... I'm wondering how a race intake on the exhaust side would do but if they werent at 300 bux a pop Id try it..... as long as piston to valve clearance was good......

but yeah, you would have to get the ignition module to advance timing.....

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm sure there is some way of making an adjustable ignition rotor like what muzzy has for the zx12r but I have the ignition module from power commander to do my timing.....

I have tried the stock intake on the exhaust side and it did minimal gains... I'm wondering how a race intake on the exhaust side would do but if they werent at 300 bux a pop Id try it..... as long as piston to valve clearance was good......

but yeah, you would have to get the ignition module to advance timing.....
one other thing what are your degree numbers ?i got some numbers from chip hunter and he told me the best combo he had treid for drag are 103 in and 105 ex ,yes the intake is lower than the exhaust

·
Registered
116 Posts
What kind of power would it have made with 103/105 instead of 107/103? Has anyone tried those numbers? I am guessing that with the 103/105 it is moving the power up top and 107/103 is just the opposite?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I know that 107/103 has always given me awesome power overall everywhere the horsepower climbs all they way up to redline and drop off slightly before rev limiter..... I know kawi race manual says 108/102 and its been so long since i was on the dyno or in my motor but I think I tried 108 to 105 and 107 seemed to set the cams pretty good.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What kind of power would it have made with 103/105 instead of 107/103? Has anyone tried those numbers? I am guessing that with the 103/105 it is moving the power up top and 107/103 is just the opposite?
about the 103/105 is for dragracing ,got these numbers from chip hunter , havent treid it yet .

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah I have heard of people using alot of different numbers on here or hearing of different numbers, I personally havent tested lower numbers actually, I dont have the dyno resources anymore so I'm sort of in the wind for doing anything right now..... I have heard of some people running low numbers but I think kawi wants their stock cams to be 107/104 and their race set up is 108/102 so I'm pretty close to what they are saying but I'm sure there are lots of different options....... If I had the dyno and the time to do all the piston to valve clearances I would try to put the RACE intake on the exhaust side and see what that does.... :-D

·
Registered
80 Posts
if i were to buy some cams from web would they need to be degreed? or could you run them just the same as stock degree? i have the kawi race cam but i do not think the guy that put it in degreed it at all. is it a clearance issue or is it just theres a few ponies i could be missing out on.....if so how many ponies will i be missing. i will be doing this myself and have never degreed cams before.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
unless your getting much larger cams from web like a custom .440 lift cam i wouldn't upgrade past a kawi intake race and stock exhaust..... they do need to be degreed....

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am trying to locate an intake cam and .45 gasket set. I have been unsuccessful. Can somebody point me in the right direction.:dontknow:

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
The race intake is discontinued. You can search for a used one though.
:+1: Try finding a used one but expect to pay quite a bit for it.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I still want to play with the race intake if I can get over the stock cams fun factor for what I need this ride for to meet expectations. In other words, the stock cams are pushing out some hp and tq for a good track day.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts