Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my new set of Hotbodies (the lower) catch fire at Barber last weekend on my 08 ZX10R. Never had this issue with Hotbodies before. I had my exhaust in full header wrap and exhaust wasnt touching. What race body are you using and what heat precautions are you taking? I am currently running stock headers with cat bypass mid pipe into Hotbodies MP slip - on.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2021 ZX10R Street & 2016 ZX10R KRT Race build
3,761 Posts
I replied on the WERA board..but the stock system is uber hot and no good way around it.
You cant bypass the cats on this system vs the 06's. The cats are made into the lower header section so you will have to gut it at the very least.

I have the same set up for the most part and its ok on heating, but the endurance race melted my plastics. also you will have to trim down the plastic up front a few inches. I posted pics on the wera board on a Hotboies thread. I will try and look it up.

Id say gut the cats that are in the header, trim the front of the body work down some and double wrap the pipes.

You can see how much I cut down in this picture. The original body work meets up right under the radiator. The stock headers bow forward and put it too close to the body work while the after market headers are straighter downward away from the bodywork.

I still fun stock exhaust, gutted cats in the air box, boom box cats removed and M4 slip on. For trackdays and race sprints its fine, but 6 hour endurance fried everything.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,761 Posts
PS: my 06 caught fire also and this one smoked real bad. ITs too much heat from the heavy metal construction of the stock Ti pipes.

Also you might notice your motorcycle runs hotter.

on the 06 I put a full Akropovic on and no more fires and the bike temps went back down.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,761 Posts
Use Dynamat on the inside of the lower. I did and it took care of the issue.

I have 3 layers of dynamat it did stop the fire, but it still smokes. well only for long races (30 minutes or more)... but should be fine for sprints or track day sessions.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,614 Posts
Weird. I've had the heat issue on the 04 and 08 ZX10 track bikes for sure. I finally used dynamat and had no more trouble. Must be the variances between different bodywork. I use the cheap stuff cause I tend to crash (to much!) lol

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i do trackdays and have had the 'melting' issue on my lower panels (i use catalyst composites) on my stock exhaust. I am ditching the stock exhaust for a full system and am gonna heat shield the lower to see what happens next, no doubt, it is the cat's fault

·
Registered
229 Posts
I used foil sheilding with 1/4 inch insulation as backing, I ran 6 20min sessions last weekend and my hot bodies did fine before heat sheilding it melted off my paint and smoked somthing feirce

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,761 Posts
I used foil sheilding with 1/4 inch insulation as backing, I ran 6 20min sessions last weekend and my hot bodies did fine before heat sheilding it melted off my paint and smoked somthing feirce
same here, i run hot bodies on the 06 and 08...

Even after installing the Akra system it burns thru 2 layers of dynomat in one small spot.

Look and see black burnt spot.

The bigger spot was how much got burnt when I had stock system and it would catch on fire.

I still think that the heavy Ti on the stock stuff generat to much heat.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks guys, you just ruined my next 3 trackdays. I have enough to worry about just trying to ride the damn bike, without the thought of my bike bursting into flames! i didn't even know that could happen:eyecrazy:

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Von, I've read a few of your thread son the WERA board, cool to see you there. I'm track only converting my 10 in a few weeks and have Hotbodies skin comming. Is there any way around this? Is it the lack of air flow caused by the containment lower vs the extremely open stock stuff?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Thanks guys, you just ruined my next 3 trackdays. I have enough to worry about just trying to ride the damn bike, without the thought of my bike bursting into flames! i didn't even know that could happen:eyecrazy:

What bike do you have with what exhaust and what bodywork??

·
Registered
410 Posts
What bike do you have with what exhaust and what bodywork??
'06 10R, stock header....so I doubt i'll have any trouble like you guys are having with the '08s.

Still, I didn't know that stuff was flammable, or that the exhaust created enough heat to roast bodywork. I figured at anything more than 40 mph there would be more than enough air moving around in there to evacuate all the heat.

Learn something new everyday I guess.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
'06 10R, stock header....so I doubt i'll have any trouble like you guys are having with the '08s.

Still, I didn't know that stuff was flammable, or that the exhaust created enough heat to roast bodywork. I figured at anything more than 40 mph there would be more than enough air moving around in there to evacuate all the heat.

Learn something new everyday I guess.
Street riding is a non issue, on a track running a 1000cc bike at wide-open-throttle consumes a lot of fuel and subsequently creates a lot of exhaust and heat.

The stock headers on these bikes have catalytic converters in them and that is a major heat source, exhaust heat issues are much less common with a full aftermarket exhaust. Are you running the stock bodywork? The OEM belly pan has an opening on the very bottom to improve airflow. Unfortunately all race sanctioning bodies require a belly pan that can hold fluid so having an opening in the belly is out of the question.

What bodywork are you running?

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Street riding is a non issue, on a track running a 1000cc bike at wide-open-throttle consumes a lot of fuel and subsequently creates a lot of exhaust and heat.

The stock headers on these bikes have catalytic converters in them and that is a major heat source, exhaust heat issues are much less common with a full aftermarket exhaust. Are you running the stock bodywork? The OEM belly pan has an opening on the very bottom to improve airflow. Unfortunately all race sanctioning bodies require a belly pan that can hold fluid so having an opening in the belly is out of the question.

Not to interupt you Caboose, but will gutting the cats help?

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Thanks. Guess I'll find some foil mat and try for the best without gutting. I'm trackday only so at worst I can cut out a section of the lower.

·
Registered
410 Posts

I believe my body work is e-racing, I bought them used, so I'm not 100% sure.

I had been running my trackdays with stock bodywork until I balled it up (bike on a track with stock plastic, yup, i'm a dumbass). I'm not anticipating any heat issues, but i'll definitely keep an eye on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts