Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am prepping a 05 zx10r as a race bike for next season to use as a B bike (rain bike). I have been pretty suprised to find some stuff out on the 05 zx10r as well. Mainly that when you take the motor out and strip the bike, there really is not much on it that is not nessisary.

Here is a parts list so far.

Penske Rear shock
Traxxion Dynamics Forks
NRC Case covers
Vortex Frame sliders
Vortex rearsets
Ivans TRE
Head decked, ported, 5 angle valve job
High comp JE pistons
Race intake cam
520 chain and -1 +4 sprockets
CBR 1000 calipers
Braided lines
Brembo master cylinder
captive rear brake
Power commnder
Akro slip on (for the rest of the week)
Vortex clip ons
KN filter
Scotts damper
quick turn throttle
Attack exhaust hanger
Attack Bodywork (in being painted)
SBS DC pads
lightech remote brake adjuster
CZ wheels

Here are a couple of quick pictures with more to come

Attachments

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
scrap the k&n for a bmc race and pull the flies! if you could throw find em- throw a race intake cam too.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
secondary butterflies have been pulled.

I am going to go take some more pics of the bike tonight. The motor is in it and it is running like a top. Just had to get the new ignition to work.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
What I would recommend is some suspension work. The 10R has tons of power already especially now with what you have done to it. An Ohlins, Penske, or Elka rear and some drop in cartridges for the fronts and then get it tuned for you. Good build though.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I would recommend is some suspension work. The 10R has tons of power already especially now with what you have done to it. An Ohlins, Penske, or Elka rear and some drop in cartridges for the fronts and then get it tuned for you. Good build though.
Oh, I forgot the suspension. Penske rear shock and traxxion dynamics reworked forks. I will update the mods to date.

More pics of the engine in here:

PS, you will have to excuse the mess and empty beer cans. It has been a busy couple of days working on this thing......and I am Canadian.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
nice setup! just a suggestion, i did on my bike also. flip the penske around so the oil line wouldnt be at risk if ever a chain breaks.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Hey Justin, so that's what you have been working on. Like i told you today you CAN ride the race bike where i live. Don't forget though if i whoop your ass in the mountains you must buy me coffee.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Justin, so that's what you have been working on. Like i told you today you CAN ride the race bike where i live. Don't forget though if i whoop your ass in the mountains you must buy me coffee.
Ahhh yes phil, this girl has been killing my beer fridge!

It is getting close to being done too. Jamie is painting th new bodywork and I neew to bolt on the new exhaust, fit the bodywork, toss on the new Fuel cap and get the dyno tune.

I am guessing that I better get my liver ready for the white russians then?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Yeah now my 10 is in bed for a few months i shall drink myself into oblivion and hopefully wake up in time for spring.
I am wondering and for the benefit for the other viewers..Justins bike is name is Mongo when it was a streetfighter. Now that the whore is being tracked does it have a new name?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, the bike is quite clean, The dust on the undertail is just lit up (exeptionally well) with the flash from the camera.

Thanks for the observation though.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So A full Arrow exhaust has been ordered today, I should see it sometime near the end of next week. I am contemplating a set of aftermarket wheels however this will make the bike illegal for Supersport races.

Not too sure if I can cut out anymore weight (within a racers budget) but ay ideas on improvements are welcome. Especially if I have overlooked something.

Justin

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is for weight reduction and just to clean up anything that is not needed. I initially thought that there would be more weight in the cast aluminum truss on the subframe, however is is less than 1 lb. I am going to take a scale to her soon just to find out where I am at for weight. More for curiosity than anything else.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So out of curiosity (and boredom while waiting for the new exhaust to show) I put the bike on the scale. Literally, I put the bike on a bathroom scale.

I placed the bike so that is was level while being weighed. I weighed the front and rear of the bike individually. This is what I came up with.

05 zx10r: Above mentioned mods (superstock bike) no bodywork, full tank of fuel, full of oil, and with the slip on akra pipe = 363.2lbs

I also weighed the box of material that has been unbolted, cut or just discarded = 12.0lbs
That does not include stock bodywork, headlight, tail light, fasteners. (ps this included the weight of a small cardboard box

Now I am unsure what the set of painted attack bodywork will weigh but as a rough estimate at what the entire bike will weigh, I figure I am in the ball park.

I will update as the build goes on and post some pics after the exhaust shows and then the bike with paint and decals (after christmas)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Added a lighter battery, and the full exhaust is on. The Body work has it's first layer of paint on today and will be probably done by the end of next week.

Official weight as of today 361.5 with a full tank of fuel (4.5 gallons or 26lbs) That includes the 11lbs of bodywork and paint.

Full gallery here. http://s527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/ontrackperformance/2009 race bike build/

Note the 3 scale pictures are the front wheel, rear wheel and total weight of fuel measurements.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Day 2 in the paint shop today, Base layer is on and the rest will be done by Friday. I should be decaling the bike and polishing by the weekend.

I will add pics from today soon. **edit** here are the pics

1 - 20 of 55 Posts