Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at one of these bikes for the wife; anybody have any experience with either? She rides an old CBR F2 now and it's time for something new. Both these bikes are the same price locally.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have ridden the Kawi a handful of times (I was thinking about it as my rainy day bike). It is a good bike that doesn't do anything great. I have ridden the Yami (different versions) for the same reason. And, it was pretty much like the Kawi. I think the Kawi had a little better low end, and the Yami had a better finish and suspension.

However, in the end, we all know that Yami is evil and nobody should ever buy one:wink:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have an 03 R6 which is the same as the 06-09 R6S. Great bike, personally think it looks better than the ZZR's. The new ZZR use the same parts, chassis, and bodywork from the 00-02 ZX6. I think the R6 is a bit lighter, and just looks like a more updated bike in my opinion and MANY more aftermarket parts available.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that's about what I thought. We're leaning toward the yammy as well. I'd love to get her on a Kawi, but...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've got a ZZR600..aka ZX6J and it's a great bike. Why? Fully adjustable suspension, great headlights, very comfortable ride, easy serviceability and plenty of parts available.
When I don't want to ride my ZX10R, I take the ZZR600. Of course, being a Kawasaki and using the same oil filter as my ZX10R doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'd rock the R6s if you can get it for the same (or similar) price. For one thing, it's injected. Otherwise, it is lighter, and has a ton more aftermarket support. However, the R6s has been discontinued for 2010 so I see the aftermarket support dropping off in the next few years.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have an 03 R6 which is the same as the 06-09 R6S. Great bike, personally think it looks better than the ZZR's. The new ZZR use the same parts, chassis, and bodywork from the 00-02 ZX6. I think the R6 is a bit lighter, and just looks like a more updated bike in my opinion and MANY more aftermarket parts available.
:+1:

i owned a 03 R6.. i have nothing bad to say

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
What about a 650R or SV?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Ionno, I like the ride of the ZZR over the R6s. It just feels more solid and planted vs the R6s. And coming from the F2, I'm sure both bikes are way lighter than her previous. I like the front end of the ZZR over the R6s also.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Keep in mind that the R6s has a wide seat and it's tall. It might fit a man fine, but a lot of women have problems with it.

I would buy whatever she fits on better. I'll always lean toward the kawi side, but both are good bikes.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've taken out a ZZR600 a few times and it flat out screams! Haven't had a chance to ride an R6, but I really liked the engine characteristics of the Kawi (maybe because it reminded me of how my old ZX9R feels).

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Don't get me wrong, a riding buddy had a zzr when I had my 636. It's a great bike. Smooth, comfortable, good fuel economy, confidence inspiring handling, etc. However, the R6s actually has a narrower seat than the zzr (though maybe a smidge taller), makes more hp, is FI, has more aftermarket support, and is the better bike in every category except maybe comfort - and that's pretty subjective. However, most the time the R6s is also at least $1000 more than the zzr. For that money, I would take the zzr myself, but for the same money, the R6S is the better buy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts