Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Im brand new to this forum,and i thought i'd ask a few questions before letting the dealership influence me.

I've been wanting to ride for as long as i can remember, however havent been able to because the parents said the classic " it's too dangerous". Now im in college. Now its my choice haha.

So i went into a local dealership to see what kinda style im into and what i fit on. Not a problem most guys have. I'm 6'9'' and about 285lbs so i wasnt even sure i could get a bike, without it being a chopper. I sat on a few bikes like the CBR 1000 and the ZX-10r and the Honda Interceptor, However the ZX-10 felt the most comfortable. My problem is, that the time sitting on the bikes is about how far my riding experience extends... I've never rode a dirt bike or anything on 2 wheels except my bicycle when i was a kid.

I talked with a few guys at the dealership and they had nothing but good things to say about the ZX-10 and were more than happy to let me walk out with the keys that day(even knowing my experience).

I went with my better judgement and decided to get on here and see what you guys could suggest. I sat on a 600 as well but felt more like bo-bo the clown sitting on a pocketbike. My knees were just above the gastank and when i leaned over my face was on the windshield. But with the zx-10's power i dont think i'd be able to control it. Now, i've read the thread about how its me who controls the bike, but, dear god watching vid's on youtube with a zx-10 vs a corvette, the thing frankly scares the piss out of me.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome and thanks alot for your time guys.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
haha........I know a few friends who started out on litre bikes,...and they are still alive.
But it is all in how you respect the bike and it's power!......these 10R's are no joke!
Be careful!!..........it will put you on your back pretty quick if ya don't take it easy and learn how to ride it first before ya start pushing the envelope!.Good Luck!
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm a supporter of tiered licensing, so I feel that you should start out on something way smaller than a ZX-10, even if you look like a moron.

With no experience, you need to look at insurance options. You'll be amazed how much it'll cost you. You can thank the high rates on the irresponsible people that buy a liter bike as their first ride and then throw it down the road.

·
Registered
330 Posts
How true,i see so many jumping on 1000's for their first bike and end up wrecking and ruining their trust in bikes!! I started out on an ex500,600,750 then a 1000! Its really the best way to go!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
6'9 and almost 300 lbs? you need a huybusa or zx-14r! you prolly look very odd on a 1000cc bike but you would look even odder on a 600cc bike being your large self.

·
Registered
134 Posts
the problem is not that you are going to harm yourself, (if you have respect on the bike) but not to damage your bike and you get sad.
for me, 99% you are going to have a bad time, (not because of your fault)
but you have to get familiar with the street, cars, traffic etc.
so i think that is better to have a bad time with an old bike than with a new zx10r.
go and buy a second hand 600cc, drive it for 1year and then take any bike you like

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My 10 was my first bike. 20K miles and going strong. It took a while for me to get comfy enough to open her up, which is the way it should be. You know yourself and your level of self control.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm a supporter of tiered licensing, so I feel that you should start out on something way smaller than a ZX-10, even if you look like a moron.

With no experience, you need to look at insurance options. You'll be amazed how much it'll cost you. You can thank the high rates on the irresponsible people that buy a liter bike as their first ride and then throw it down the road.
:+1: modern 1000cc sportsbikes aren't much bigger than the 600's in terms of physical size.
some of the older 600's are larger than the 1000's now.

it doesn't really matter what you look like riding it, as long as you're having fun. and buying a 1000 as your first bike might leave a bad taste in your mouth. my wifes ninja 250 is more fun to ride than my zx10. smaller, less powerful bikes are also more forgiving if you make a mistake while riding. i was 6'0 275 when i started riding and it was on a 2003 zx6r. i'm now down to 215 though ::thank you, thank you::

i definitely think you should get something smaller to learn on. something thats a few years old, maybe some dings and dents on it. something that won't cost you too much and won't matter if you drop it. ride that for atleast a year, then go buy your brand new bike. statistically, you will drop the bike learning how to ride. would you rather drop a brand new zx10r, or something a little older that you're going to get rid of anyway in a year or two.

just my .02 there are some people that started on 1000's and did fine, but they are definitely the anomalies. the first day i had my zx6r i went down on it because i thought i knew how to ride better than i did.

·
Registered
106 Posts
:welcome:

Not to sway your decision on picking up a 10R, but I'm going to give you a MANswer. :mrgreen: Have you had a chance to look at the ZX-14?. Without knowing what type of riding you intend, you may consider it a option. While still a brute the ZX-14 is less track focused, with better ergos that make it a more comfortable road bike for a guy of your stature. It looks great, it's powerful and it's reliable. Good thing is it'll still give you the same Kawasaki ZX kick in the nuts. Like with any bike, twist the throttle with respect. Learn all you can about the basic fundamentals of motorcycling. A trusted source whether it be the internet, books and dvds, or even better a MSF rider course or professional motorcycle riding school of some sort. And most importantly, practice, practice, practice. Being that your a rookie's rookie, I suggest training first then look for the bike of your choice. Do a search, there have been a few guys here who have switch from a 10R to the ZX-14 and love it. G/L with your decision.
kawasaki-zx-14_460x0w.jpg
kawasaki-zx-14-11_460x0w.jpg

Motorcycle Safety Foundation RiderCourse Info: http://www.msf-usa.org/

·
Registered
193 Posts

:+2:

as far as two wheels(motorized)... i started when I was about 14 on a YZ80 with the good ole roost boost and a milled head & DG pipe... it'd kick @$$... then on to a CR250R and Banshee's and etc... then I didnt ride for a while.. rode a few of my friends bike from time to time(00 GSXR1000, 03 GSXR 750, 99 Seca II) so in 2006 when I was ready to get my own street bike I bought a Ninja EX500, rode it for almost two years then upgraded to a ZX-6R... and for over a year I gradually upgraded it til I was spraying a 40 shot and running outta nitrous every week... thats when I decided to upgrade to the 10R... so I would also recommend starting out small maybe even a 650R instead of the ZX-6R... but starting out on the ZX-10R is probably not the best idea ... unless you have an unparalleled amount of self control...

·
Registered
99 Posts
First of all, you say that your only 2-wheel experience is a bicycle. Bearing that in mind, I tell you that once you get the feel of the clutch you can basically "move" any bike whether it is 50cc or 1700cc
HOWEVER, the hard part is to learn how to move in a public road with traffic. Bear in mind that even if you buy a small bike you will unfortunately go down, but getting a litter bike will take you there ( ...down..) 100% faster and uglier.
Don't all of you guys remember yourselves as kids, twisting the throttle as a reflex when you started to lose control of the very first time you rode a bike?
imagine that on a 10R..

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
First of all, welcome to the site. Being your size and weight, I hardly see how you'd call the 10r or any supersport bike comfortable. Keep in mind sitting on one on the dealer floor is a lot different than riding. Also being brand new, I think any supersport type performance is a little much. Not just engine but the combination of power and generally stiff, sharp handling. Ideally you are busa or zx14 size, but those aren't ideal bikes for brand new riders. Are you seriously considering paying between $9-12,000. for a bike when you are very likely to drop it rolling it around the garage or parking lot speeds, or possibly not even like riding at all. I'd suggest looking into the used bike market for a bike. I can't imagine anyone saying the interceptor is less comfortable than a racer replica, I think you may be just into the sportier look of the 10. If you're just stuck on a 1000 sportbike, def check into used. You can get cheap 1000s in good shape just a few years older. I sold my 04 10r for $5000 with 6900mi. Some are more, some are less. Buy cheap, get some experience, then get what you really want. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Buy an old EX500 or GS500 or something like that. It doesn't matter what it looks like, and it doesn't matter what you look like when riding it, just make sure that it is mechanically good. Ride that for at least a year (and put some mileage on it, don't just let it sit in the garage!) and THEN think about getting what you really want to have.

The two most fun bikes that I own are 125cc (my local-backroads bike) and 400cc (my track bike). And I'm not exactly small. The 125 has a "stay out of trouble" and "non-attention-getting" factor that are part of the appeal. It may not have occurred to new riders yet, but one of the not-fun things about a sport bike is the attention that you get from the police.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I was always told don't buy the bike you want for your first bike. Most people will drop their bike in the first year of riding. Whether it is forgetting put your feet down at a light, losing balance in a parking lot or just hitting some gravel. I would check out a used bike. See if you can fit on a zx7 or zx9. A 750 gsxr my work for ya. If you get abike that is a couple years old the insurance might cost as much as the bike per year. Just a thought.

I don't know if they have riding safety courses in Greece but it would be money well spent. I paid 150 bucks for a 1 day course. It was done in a closed down strip mall parking lot and we never got over 20-25 mph. I learned alot and it was afiliated with the state so I didn't have to take my driving test to my licence.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Everyone gave great advice! I agree take a motorcycle safety course first and foremost. Then take $2500-3k and buy somethin used to practice on until you get comfortable with the basic fundamentals of riding. Then once you feel comfortable go buy a zx-14 or a busa. You're too tall for anything else. A friend of mine started out on a 600 katana, rode that for a year and then stepped up to a busa and he's been fine ever since. But you have zero ridin experience you shouldn't even be inside a dealership looking! And shame on that dealership for not caring about you well being! They should've told you straight up, like look boss you don't have any experience at all you need to take a m/c safety course and then maybe come back and we can help you out. :idea:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Buy an old EX500 or GS500 or something like that. It doesn't matter what it looks like, and it doesn't matter what you look like when riding it, just make sure that it is mechanically good. Ride that for at least a year (and put some mileage on it, don't just let it sit in the garage!) and THEN think about getting what you really want to have.

The two most fun bikes that I own are 125cc (my local-backroads bike) and 400cc (my track bike). And I'm not exactly small. The 125 has a "stay out of trouble" and "non-attention-getting" factor that are part of the appeal. It may not have occurred to new riders yet, but one of the not-fun things about a sport bike is the attention that you get from the police.
This is the way to go. Theres a couple guys at work who have wanted to get started and actually got together and got a cheap used Honda CB 500 and are taking a riding coarse. This will make for a good learning experience and gives them a chance to see if its for them without much cash.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ok I think you're golden to ask at all so here are some opinions and my experience. I'm not nearly as big as you, I'm 5'7" @160 so me and sportbikes go hand in hand...you don't unless you want to be uncomfortable and hate it. Now I don't care how big or small you are...a newbie needs to be trained and work their way up. This is from personal experience and the confidence came with experience. I started on an EX500, then a 600, 750, 800, 900, 1200 (harley), and a true 1K my current ride. I've hit the pavement a few times and wished I was on POS bikes but as my experience grew so did my confidence and ability to keep the rubber side down. In fact I don't care how experienced you are you WILL drop a bike or a few no matter how many years of experience you have, when you're new you do it more often is all. I don't care who says they'll never wreck 'cause they're just stupid, it will happen you just don't know when. So in summary here are my opinions, take them or leave them ;)

1) Get trained, take MSF courses or whatever your state offers or pay for a class. That will help in the long run and I wish I was trained sooner than later 'cause it would have saved many fairings on a few bikes.
2) Buy the right gear. Too many idiots go drop their wad on a nice shiny new bike and then wear jeans, tennis shoes, a leather jacket, no gloves, and shitty helmet. I'm not saying take a second out on your house just invest in your protection, when you hit the pavement (you wil trust me) you'll be thanking me.
3) And finally buy a smaller bike and work your way up. Throttle control is hard even for the most experienced rider when you know what the bike can do but experience helps when you get the feeling to whack it open. Due to your size I recommend a standard or naked bike. Now I personally hate them too but as a newb you have to understand you WILL drop it or wreck it. Trust me...just prepare for it. A used standard or naked bike with frame sliders should set you up, due to your size I'd limit yourself to an 800, nothing higher until your second or third bike. Buy a POS to thrash on it...that way if anything happens to it you won't care and you'll be prepared if you buy gear and are trained. See how it all goes together ;) Ok that's enough...go have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
can't beat the training from a couple of Motorcyle Safety Foundation courses...it could save your life

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i agree that your most likely going to drop your first bike (it happens) so start with something that will teach you the basics and allow you to learn how to ride on public roads without getting yourself in too much trouble. the thing about a liter bike is your reaction time needs to be honed so that if you get into trouble you have an idea how to get out of trouble.

whatever you decide, welcome to the site and keep us updated on what you choose. have fun!

·
Registered
779 Posts
In my opinion, I think you would have more fun on a smaller bike. Reason being is, due to your lack of experience, you will not be able to use the 10r to it's full potential. However, you more than likely WILL be able to ride the guts out of a 600cc bike and use it's entire power band because of your size and weight. This translates into a more enjoyable experience. You can move up later.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts