Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the stock throttle twist on an 04 ZX10r?

What is recommended for trackday use?

Brand name suggested?

Pros and cons?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
What is the stock throttle twist on an 04 ZX10r?

What is recommended for trackday use?

Brand name suggested?

Pros and cons?

Thanks!!
Talk to rifleman, he'll hook ya up

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
1/4 turn is stock.

1/5 is perfect- talk to Rifleman here as said.

There are no drawbacks, 1/5 turn is perfect and it should have come that way IMO.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
PM sent to you DB.

As has been said the OEM throw is just over 90' degrees. With my insert that is reduced to 72' degrees or 1/5th of a turn. This is optimal for nearly all riders. Giving the full range of the throttle in one normal grip, yet long enough to give you proper throttle control in the cornors and away from standing starts.

it works equally well on the track as well as the street.

it wakes up the bike, makes it feel more responsive, agile... "tight" as some have said.

it is the way the throttle should come from the factory.

I have them in stock and can ship immediatly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are other options as well.
The KHI (Kawasaki Heavy Industries) race throttle which I've heard goes for about 500 bucks.
Similar look to the KHI is Active Throttle Kit http://www.acv.co.jp/01_product/hi_thro_en.html - which i hear is in the 150 - 200 range, comes with grips/cables/selectable pulley size ect.

if seen other variations on yoyodyne and oppracing in the 200 dollar range

But Riflemans solution is definitely the most budget friendly and gets the job done well.

I personally am seriously considering the Active cause i love the look, plus you get the cables and grips(which i need) for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have a Kawasaki KIT 60* quick throttle, 1/5 turn. Its awesome, comes with new cables that are adjustable on BOTH ends, new throttle reel, and housing.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I have a Kawasaki KIT 60* quick throttle, 1/5 turn. Its awesome, comes with new cables that are adjustable on BOTH ends, new throttle reel, and housing.
Those are nice and all but Rifleman's is much cheaper and I've been using it for years with no problem. Easy enough to install too.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Yes, the KIT 60 is actually 1/6th of a turn, it needs the additional parts to fit up properly, the OEM cables aren't long enough to get the necessary slack. I'm not sure but I think you need a larger grip housing as well. That is why those kits are more expensive. (a few hundred dollars for all the parts)

I would also put it in the "track only" catagory for most riders, it's twichy and takes time to get used to.

the 1/5th was designed with a few considerations in mind.

1. Use all the OEM parts, nothing else to buy.

2. reduce the throw to what most people can do in a single grip.

3. be reversable.

the 1/5th fits all those criteria.

·
Registered
229 Posts
3. be reversable.

B.S.....you will NEVER go back!!!One of the best out for the ZX 10 period. I love it!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Those are nice and all but Rifleman's is much cheaper and I've been using it for years with no problem. Easy enough to install too.
Different strokes for different folks - I bought my KIT throttle from a guy who used his as primarily a street bike.with occasional track duty, and sold it because he said it was too sensitive. Me personally, I think its perfect, I would even consider a even quicker throttle.

Yes, the KIT 60 is actually 1/6th of a turn, it needs the additional parts to fit up properly, the OEM cables aren't long enough to get the necessary slack. I'm not sure but I think you need a larger grip housing as well. That is why those kits are more expensive. (a few hundred dollars for all the parts)

I would also put it in the "track only" catagory for most riders, it's twichy and takes time to get used to.

the 1/5th was designed with a few considerations in mind.

1. Use all the OEM parts, nothing else to buy.

2. reduce the throw to what most people can do in a single grip.

3. be reversable.

the 1/5th fits all those criteria.
I apologize, I said 60* then said 1/5, sorry. It is indeed 1/6 turn, I guess that's what I get for typing from my phone on a rush.

The KIT throttle is more involved, however I do like the fact that its an OEM quality part that is all inclusive. Bolt it on and go.

Please don't take this as me bashing your product - that is definitely not the case. Im just trying to provide the OP with pros and cons of ALL his options. :eek:ccasion1

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
nope, not at all, just saying what the differences were is all. Economy was one of my criteria as well... but to do that, it has to be installed by the owner alot of guys want plug and play, but almost as many are willing to mod themselves...

it's a good thing that both are available.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Here's another option 303 cycle is selling right now in the vendor classified section. pretty cool with all the adjustability and options.
I couldn't paste the pic so here's the link.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1565888#post1565888

* Cable boot keeps dirt and dust out for reliable, smooth operation
* Billet aluminum inline cable adjusters for easy installation and adjustment
* Removable setscrew in throttle housing allows you to secure to any clip on
* Kit includes complete Throttle Assembly and high quality Motion Pro black vinyl cables specifically designed for your bike and new Motion Pro RoadControl grips. 303 Cycle will also be including Motion Pro Cable Lube and a 303 Cycle T-shirt with every purchase!

*Motion Pro revolver Kits are $154.95 shipped to your door in the lower 48! PM me or give us a call and we'll get you taken care of.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
it's a good thing that both are available.
Absolutely, I agree. I actually bought your product originally and, to be honest, if I hadn't gotten the KILLER deal I did on this KIT throttle, I would've never bought it. Being a mechanically knowledgable person I have always had a hard time paying for something I know I could do cheaper - IE refusing to spend hundreds of dollars on a KIT throttle.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Let me say that Riflemans insert was awesome. Cost vs performance gain was great. The Kit throttle is great but when you piece everything together pricey. I bought and have been using the Motion Pro Revolver Kit

http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/01-2639/

It comes with different size reels to fit all types of riders. Since mines a track bike I've been using the 50mm reel which essentially makes it a 1/7 turn throttle. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you do you'll never want to go back. I wrote a little write up a while back:

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88283

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Let me say that Riflemans insert was awesome. Cost vs performance gain was great. The Kit throttle is great but when you piece everything together pricey. I bought and have been using the Motion Pro Revolver Kit

http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/01-2639/

It comes with different size reels to fit all types of riders. Since mines a track bike I've been using the 50mm reel which essentially makes it a 1/7 turn throttle. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you do you'll never want to go back. I wrote a little write up a while back:

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88283
Yeah I linked the MP revolver kit. How do you like it? Does it replace the entire cable or just half length?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yeah I linked the MP revolver kit. How do you like it? Does it replace the entire cable or just half length?
Yes its the entire cable, throttle housing, tube and reel. I love it. I will always have one on any bike I own unless I'm racing a production class.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
true, and the best thing is you can do it, and if you need more, you can opt for the bigger kits

the 1/5th is about the biggest insert you can get into the OEM housing and use the OEM cables.

I make a 1/5.5th for the Suzuki's and that's about as big as you can go on those bikes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts