Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some input on the Quick Shifter accessory for the Power Commander. I understand it momentarily kills the spark so you can just shift into the next gear at full throttle. It unloads the gears like blipping the throttle but less brainwork. Am I correct on it's operation? I want to use this for the street and dragstrip, I'm not ready to install an air tank on the bike for an air shifter.
I wonder how close you can dial it in for smooth shifts without backfiring and how you like the product, where you got it and how much it cost?

Thanks for your help,
Mike

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I think mykel has one on his bike.

I don't know anything about it.

Sounds like a feature for drag racing.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
The quick shifter works great. I had the Muzzy air shifter on my 12 and feel this works every bit as well. Only difference is you load the shifter with your foot. Hit the button and it slips right into gear. The ignition kill is adjustable for duration just like with an air shifter kit. The great thing is no cutting into the wiring harness. I've reduced the kill duration to 55ms and have no backfires and shifts are completed smoothly w/ no missed shifts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quick shifter

MPSracng.com makes something very similar to this product. I've used it first hand as well as many air shifter systems. It works the same way as the power commander but without the button. Just shift the bike and it has a switch that senses you shifting and kills the bike a micro-second and unloads the motor.
Works great and has adj. kill time also! Pretty simple set-up. Talk to Dale Walker at MPSracing.com and he will give you the 411. Good luck! Recon

·
Registered
314 Posts
i have the version that goes onto your shift rod. i love it. i had to remove it because i bought some rear sets. i do not have the thevcorrect linkage to put it back on. with this version there is no button just shift. i may have to get rid of it if i can not get it to work with my rear sets. let me know if you want to buy it. i had it for 1 month.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
ballsup said:
i have the version that goes onto your shift rod. i love it. i had to remove it because i bought some rear sets. i do not have the thevcorrect linkage to put it back on. with this version there is no button just shift. i may have to get rid of it if i can not get it to work with my rear sets. let me know if you want to buy it. i had it for 1 month.
I'm thinking of getting the same system. I have Sato rearsets. The way my rearsets are positioned. It looks like it will only work with GP shift pattern

·
Registered
197 Posts
The setup works incredibly well. It can be made to work with any rearsets by using the different shift rod combinations that are available. If you are using any kind of rearsets, the best option is to order the complete kits and then play with different combos to make it work. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Can you down shift with this?
I had an older electric shift that I could never tune to work properly...so I ditched it for $30.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
miykl said:
The quick shifter works great. I had the Muzzy air shifter on my 12 and feel this works every bit as well. Only difference is you load the shifter with your foot. Hit the button and it slips right into gear. The ignition kill is adjustable for duration just like with an air shifter kit. The great thing is no cutting into the wiring harness. I've reduced the kill duration to 55ms and have no backfires and shifts are completed smoothly w/ no missed shifts.
miykl,
Thanks for the info. I have Gilles rear sets, I would have to check for compatibility. I didn't know you had to hit a button, I thought you could simply just "arm" it and shift at will.

Mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
Down shifting is exactly the same as stock. All this does is interrupt the fuel and ignition for a prespecified amount of time so that it unloads the transmission gears enough to allow them to slide in to the next gear. It is exactly the same as backing off the throttle, but works much faster and also eliminates upsetting the chassis with abrupt throttle changes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There is no button on the dynojet system. Miykl was referring to a different system on his 12. The dynojet system uses one of a couple different sensors based on the rearsets you are using that sends a signal directly to the PC3USB that kills the ignition and fuel for a set amount of time (55ms on 10rs). The preferred setup is the sensor that mounts on the shift rod itself.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ForceRecon said:
MPSracng.com makes something very similar to this product. I've used it first hand as well as many air shifter systems. It works the same way as the power commander but without the button. Just shift the bike and it has a switch that senses you shifting and kills the bike a micro-second and unloads the motor.
Works great and has adj. kill time also! Pretty simple set-up. Talk to Dale Walker at MPSracing.com and he will give you the 411. Good luck! Recon
ForceRecon,
I know the Dale Walker name from Hole Shot Performance. I used his shifter on my Harley. This is what I had in mind cause if I have to preload the shifter and hit a button It's the same brainwork as blipping the throttle, less loss on speed but about the same procedure as blipping.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
OK, for those of you that are not understanding, THERE IS NO BUTTON ON THE DYNOJET SYSTEM!!! It is a plug and play setup. Plug it in to the PC3USB, activate it with your laptop, set the kill time at 55ms, and call it done. It is triggered by loading the shifter just like you are shifting. If you are using regular shifting pattern, you use the push sensor, and if you are using GP, use a pull sensor. Buy the shift rod kit so that you can fit it up to your rearsets without interference. I've been using one of these for the past season and it is without a doubt the best performing simplest installation quick shifter on the market. I've used Translogic as well as the holeshot systems in the past and the dynojet is MUCH easier to use and install.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Top Shelf said:
There is no button on the dynojet system. Miykl was referring to a different system on his 12. The dynojet system uses one of a couple different sensors based on the rearsets you are using that sends a signal directly to the PC3USB that kills the ignition and fuel for a set amount of time (55ms on 10rs). The preferred setup is the sensor that mounts on the shift rod itself.
TopShelf,
This is what I'm looking for. I simply want to "arm" the unit and be able to upshift at full throttle. Who can I talk to about which shift rod I need and where can I buy this? I like the idea of it being PnP with the PCIII USB.

Thanks,
Mike

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Top Shelf said:
, THERE IS NO BUTTON ON THE DYNOJET SYSTEM!!!
There is a bar mount option for the DJ quickshifter. It is what I am currently using. The linkage mount is the other option but at twice the cost I was inclined to use the bar mount button as I was already used to hitting a button with airshift system on my 12.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, if you go to the powercommander.com website you will see the shift rod setup that dynojet recommends. The only problem is this is based on stock rearsets. If you have aftermarket rearsets there may be some clearance issues which will require the kit of different shift rods to find one that works for your application. Personally, if you have a good dealer that you work with, I would contact them and see if they will order the kit for you and let you pick and choose and then they can keep the rest for future customers. Otherwise, call dynojet and see if they have a setup that works with your rearsets.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
BIKEMIKE said:
TopShelf,
This is what I'm looking for. I simply want to "arm" the unit and be able to upshift at full throttle. Who can I talk to about which shift rod I need and where can I buy this? I like the idea of it being PnP with the PCIII USB.

Thanks,
Mike
any of our sponcers that sell PC's should be able to hook you up. Dynojet's website has all the info.

edit: beaten to the punch line. ditto Top shelf's remarks.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Top Shelf said:
OK, for those of you that are not understanding, THERE IS NO BUTTON ON THE DYNOJET SYSTEM!!! It is a plug and play setup. Plug it in to the PC3USB, activate it with your laptop, set the kill time at 55ms, and call it done. It is triggered by loading the shifter just like you are shifting. If you are using regular shifting pattern, you use the push sensor, and if you are using GP, use a pull sensor. Buy the shift rod kit so that you can fit it up to your rearsets without interference. I've been using one of these for the past season and it is without a doubt the best performing simplest installation quick shifter on the market. I've used Translogic as well as the holeshot systems in the past and the dynojet is MUCH easier to use and install.
Ok, I see (at the DJ site) that the button is an option to use instead of the sensor on the shift rod, the fog is starting to clear.
Oh, one more question, I understand you can adjust the rpm at which the shifter will operate above. But...is there a master on off switch or do you think one can be added??

Mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
yeah you can set the rpm, I have mine set at 4k just so I don't hit it cruising around the pits on accident. There is no provision for a master on off switch however. The good news is that because it isn't hardwired into the harness like the other systems so if it fails you really are not in jeopardy of having the bike die (ala Translogic did to me in the rain at Road America in 03) Basically, if the thing fails, it won't send a signal to the PC3 and that's where it dies. I'm sure if you were really interested in doing it, you could interrupt the power supply from the PC with a switch, but it really is unnecessary.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Top Shelf said:
you could interrupt the power supply from the PC with a switch, but it really is unnecessary.
My bar mount quickshifter is a simple two wire normally open switch. If the linkage mount switch works the same way, a simple cheap toggle switch inline with one side would work to disable it.

I set my min rpm to 8k

1 - 20 of 43 Posts