Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv'e had my 10 for a little over a month now and have a little over 2000 miles on the odometer. i just noticed that the front brake calipers seem to be slightly dragging. this is only when i am coming to a stop, and click it into neutral. when i push it around the driveway, they seem fine?? so is this my brake calipers, or another problem. I thought the chain might be too loose, because i haven't tightened it yet, but it seems fine and no noise is coming from it. i just noticed this the past few days, it makes a slight dragging noise coming from the front of the bike. im pretty sure it wasn't there before. any advice would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Brake pads drag on nearly every bike, some a lill more some a lill less. As for the 10's pads yes they do to some degree so unless they are dragging to the extent you can barely push the bike in/out of your garage they are most likely fine.

moved to tech.

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
tjvtsportsman said:
thanks, that's what i needed to hear. i was a little concerned because they never did that before.
actually they did you just didn't hear them or perhaps haven't gotten aquainted with its nuances just yet. :crackup:

Spend a night in the garage with it. :wink:

BD

·
Registered
740 Posts
You mean I could actually sleep in the same room with the bike? And all this time I've been on the couch while my baby got the bed. LOL

Mine makes some noise too, when I replaced the pads it made a little more but moved around the carport easier.

Cool huh! BD is like an Encyclopedia of knowledge, and I am just a sponge trying to saok it all up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just got back from riding again and it feels different. it feels like the bike is dragging the chain or something, but it's not abnormally loose. what could this be. how often do u guys have to tighten ur chains. my bike has 2050 miles on it and i haven't tightened the chain yet, but probably need to.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
i adjust mine when necessary. about 1.5" of slack

BD

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If you ahve that many miles on it already I can almost garuntee you it has needed to be adjusted for some time now. Most of them stretch a fair amount with in the first 600 miles or so...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know it's probably very unlikely, considering your bike doesn't have many miles on it, but whenever I found the wheels wouldn't spin freely it was usually due to grit or something else causing one of the the caliper piston's to to either drag or even partially seize. Admittedly this would happen on my dirtbikes more than my roadbikes, but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool thanks for all the advice. in the past i usually adjust the chain myself, but i don't have a stand for this bike. is it ok the adjust it with it on the kickstand, or should i wait until i get a pitbull bike stand. on the kickstand the bike is obviously at an angle and not centered, i was wondering if this will hinder me from adjusting the chain and aligning the rear wheel properly.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
tjvtsportsman said:
cool thanks for all the advice. in the past i usually adjust the chain myself, but i don't have a stand for this bike. is it ok the adjust it with it on the kickstand, or should i wait until i get a pitbull bike stand. on the kickstand the bike is obviously at an angle and not centered, i was wondering if this will hinder me from adjusting the chain and aligning the rear wheel properly.
The owners manual and shop manual both say to check it on the side stand. :wink:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
check it, but nothing about adjusting it. :crackup:

BD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts