Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The bike in question is a 2011 Zx-10r non-abs model.

I have the bike apart at the moment trying to figure out why my bike runs rough and pops during low engine speeds and under light throttle. Although this is my first 10r and I don't know exactly what is normal, the engine seems to vibrate more than I'd expect it to as well.

In an attempt to rectify the problem, among other things I am cleaning the fuel system.

While spinning the engine over so I could backflush the injectors, I noticed that quite a bit of air is being blown out of the injector holes on the throttle bodies as the engine turns over.

Of all the cars and bikes I've worked on over the years, none have exhibited similar behavior. Is this considered normal for a Gen 4 engine? If a car engine was exhibiting similar behavior, I'd suspect that either it was out of time or had intakenvalve sealing issues. The bike has only 6k miles on it and 180 psi compression on all 4 cylinders though, so I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Is the bike tuned or flashed? How does it run at higher RPMS?

I'm no pro but if the engine has within standard range of compression per the service manual (159-242) and similar compression across all 4 holes I'd guess the intake valves are sealing. I'm guessing the plugs are in it as you're cranking it? Again somebody smarter will hopefully chime in if the plugs are in it that compressed air has to go somewhere... and with a plug in place it'd have to go out the exhaust or out the intake ports. Could do a leak down test if you have one handy to make sure the valves are seating.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The only time I know of this happening was when cam time was wrong. It was on a friends R1 and the cams were off 180* off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Pace
7,104 Posts
All I can report is that on the 2011 g4 and 2013 g4 with JUST the graves can the bike will backfire upon chop going hot DOWN VERY tight turn mountain road; No flash no nothing than the above. "runs rough" is relative. So...I can report after 160,000 miles of g4 riding, the above, this bike, at idle, runs rough upon start up at 2k then settles nicely smooth at about 1k, about. I don't worry about anything until I sense a real problem, AS IN, bike not right doing simple stuff in given a situation. If it runs good on the road, then the bike can sort out whatever path during idle.

Tech guys are cool. But don't over think stuff. The REALITY is that what bike does on the road and how it dials into its rider. So...if the bike runs good under riding conditions, the why do what you're doing? You don't report any of the real world data and that's the point here.

The foundation for the above is your total lack of experience of this bike and then you total LACK of providing riding data/information.

I ride; and do math, serious math.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts