Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the difference between a quick shifter and a power shifter ? . . . i dont remember what i had on my bike and i took it off cuz i bought the bike with it on and it wasnt working but i know it looked like a was a long pipe with a rod attached to my shift linkage . . . any help please

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not sure about the terminology you used, but the two most common aftermarket shift assists are either 1) a button or pressure switched "quick shifter" that produces the same effect as letting off the throttle temporarily, allowing you to shift without releasing the throttle, and 2) an air or other type of powered shifter that does the actual shifting for you, allowing you to delay putting your feet back up to the pegs, or using a different set of rear sets if you have a serious drag set up.

I know Dynojet offers quick shift products (#1 style) that include sensors or push buttons and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure both can be used in conjunction, giving you the option to hold the throttle wide open and simply push a button to shift into the next gear. A couple friends have air shifter setups where they turned their horn button into the upshift button.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
:+1:

A power shifter will do it all for you. Either through an electric solenoid or with an air cylinder connected to your shift lever. You hit a button and the bike shifts into the next gear.

A quick shifter is just a micro switch to kill the ignition or fuel for a few milliseconds so you don't have to pull the clutch in. You still have to make the shift with your foot on the pedal, but you don't back off the throttle or pull the clutch lever in.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
I believe a quick shifter always need to be associate with a power commander or bazzaz, am I right ?
Not really, some places make stand alone units where you dont need anything else.
They are more expensive tho

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've seen some stand alone air shifters that have an unit with that will automatically shift the bike at a certain RPM. Great for consistency and shifting at the perfect spot every time on the strip, but IMO its kinda cheating.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I've seen some stand alone air shifters that have an unit with that will automatically shift the bike at a certain RPM. Great for consistency and shifting at the perfect spot every time on the strip, but IMO its kinda cheating.
I agree only to a point....for Stock Wheel base bikes I think it should be foot shifting putting more pressure on the rider to win not just the bike :wink: but when it gets more competitive run what you brung everything goes for most for the win.....I still Foot shift and proud of it too. :wink:

bloo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts